1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cb radio

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by palmer570, Feb 7, 2011.

1. palmer570

palmer570 Member

I have a older cobra 29 ltd. It has a three pin power lead. I took the plug apart because the wires were slightly pulled out and touching.

The problem is that the middle pin isn't connected to either 12v or ground. The female pin wasn't even crimped, looks brand new. The way the plug is on the inside it looks like the middle pin should be 12v but I looked everywhere for a plug diagram and could not find one.

I fixed the wires and left the middle open and figured I would see what happened. I just ordered a cobra handheld roadtrip so I wasn't too worried if i burned it up.

It seems to partially work. The only thing I can receive is the local noaa channel which is all I really wanted it for. I didn't hear anything on any other channel. I live within a mile of a interstate, decent size city and many industrial parks.

So if anyone know what that middle pin is would be greatly appreciated. If I can get it to work it could be my back up.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The middle pin could be either blank, or an ignition source. Most likely if it's an older model it's a blank pin not used for anything.

3. palmer570

palmer570 Member

Thank you.

Today I was messing around with the squelch and got the regular channels to start coming in but it was tricky. I think thats the problem or maybe it needs to be peaked or tuned, really dont know too much about cb's.

It gets the noaa channel nice and clear though and thats all I really wanted it for at the moment. It will get some use till my new one arrives.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Probably needs a good antenna match. Peak and tune all you want but without a good match you will still have the same problem, no reception.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

How do you Peak & Tune a CB ?

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

They turn the power up and increase the modulation.

7. Mister Plow

Mister Plow Senior Member

I like to reverse the phase inverters to boost the electromagnetic impulse.

8. Bigrd1

Bigrd1 Senior Member

Know of any place in northern metro detroit or around lansing that mods them?

9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

It's against the law to "peak" them. that being said, it's not hard to do :)
    Antenna match is very important, radio shack should have an inline meter, or a truck stop.
    Make very certain that the antenna cable isn't broken or pinched. If somone keys the mic with no antenna connected it could blow the output drivers.

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011