1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CB Radio

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by mattbob18, Mar 30, 2010.

1. mattbob18

mattbob18 Junior Member
    from Maine

Does anyone use CB's if so lets see them and here about them?

2. mattbob18

mattbob18 Junior Member
    from Maine

I think i might has posted this in the wrong section. If anyone knows how to could you tell me how to move it. I think it belongs in the commercial section. Sorry!

3. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

im putting cb setup together right now, i got 2 3 foot fibergall whips and im looking at getting a galaxy 939 peaked and tuned for 200 off ebay brand new!

4. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

If you don't have Nextels, CB's are the way to go in the winter. Easier and faster to use and also to talk on than a normal cell phone.

5. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

i have on but i am running into problems with distance. does anyone know if there is a way to increase the range past what i have. iv tried adjusting the squelch many times but i still cant get much distance. i have a 3 1/2 foot stick mounted to my bedside so it sticks up about 8 inches above the roof. thanks

6. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

get yourself a nice 2000 watt linear amplifier and you will be heard in all the fast food restaurants headsets you plow near :D

7. 04chevy2500

haha i went into our local sub shop this winter and he asked if it was me talking. i was plowing across the street talking to one of buddies. oops. does the amp just wire up inline with the antenna?

8. the new boss 92

yes its an inline amp, you do have to run a power and ground to it. these amps are ilegal in ill so cheack your state laws before you install one to manke sure that you cant get introuble. also is your antenna grounded? what is your swr meter saying? should be arounf 2 or less. you might just out of tune for your radio to antenna!

9. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

yes it does 200 WATT should do u fine though there are certain legal issues with them but most cops now a days dont care about them anymore. but make sure your antenna can handle the extra wattage or otherwise u may blow it up. my stock cobra gets about 10 miles if conditions are just right on the highway

10. the new boss 92

11. 04chevy2500

ok that sounds like it will work. what is the reasoning behind it being illegal to add an amp?

12. the new boss 92

i dont know that answer, but i do know that if you have big enough one that you could pull up to a drive through and order food with your cb or you could use your cb to talk through a house phone and stuff like that. go to the local pd and ask them exsacly what the laws are are they will tell you for sure. i was using my buddy's cb yesterday and this one guy would peak his swr meter out andd he was an hour away.

13. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

cb's with high powered amps use to interfere with the TVs real bad before they went digital and a lot of people where complaining saying there was some crazy redneck cussing at them thru there tv lol so the FCC started cracking down on them hence the laws. but now just about every trucker i know has an amp in there rig and they never get bothered about it even when there getting a level 3 inspection done by the DOT

14. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

they are illegal because you are broadcasting at a higher power than the FCC has deemed allowable for CB (consumer band) radios. now im not saying that i dont have one, but i rarely turn it on;). a properly tuned stocker under good conditions gets pretty good range. i currently just run a radio shack branded cobra, and can get more than 10 miles easily, but thats with 2 co-phased 4 foot firestick whips. bottom line, on the highway a linear is great, but in town you may piss some people off, and as far as i know they are illegal in most if not all states, although i dont think a cop would say much, an FCC officer may if they were in the area.

that being said when the proper money comes around, a new cobra 29ltbt will be MINE!! they are so cool, and you talk on your phone through the mic!:nod:payup

here is a pic of my whips, i will try and get one of my radio later, although it is just in a temporary location until i get my cobra and build a custom mount with switch box and storage out of diamond plate to mount on the tranny hump of the truckprsport

IMG00129.jpg

15. the new boss 92

Yup with 2 whips properly tuned, you should have no problem getting 15 miles on a good day.

16. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

If my memory is correct 4 watts is max what the FCC allows. 12 watts peak to peak (sideband)
    A standard CB will broadcast about 5 miles tops in city settings maybe 10 miles in open areas.
    Having more than one antenna is not needed unless they are mounted 8 ft away from each other, it only looks cool.
    When you run a linear amplifier you can broadcast further ,hundreds of miles. Both people would need to have one on their CB to be able to talk to each other. CB.s were really popular in the 70's but not many have them know. The ones with amps will bleed over TV's and other devices.There are still places that sell and peak/tweak them.

17. 04chevy2500

it sounds like conflicting beliefs here. how do you 'properly' tune these other than just using the squelch. sometimes i can only get a couple hundred yards with my current set-up.

18. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

your antenna(s) and radio must be tuned using a SWR (standing wave) meter for optimum efficiency

19. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Cobra 29 LTD BT with 3' fiberglass wips. It comes in great. I have never used the Blue Tooth, I only use it a CB not a phone.

20. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

also i dunno if anyone mentioned that anyone mounting anteannas below cab roof level it is recommended that 70% of the whip is above the roof for optimal performance

i am running a cobra 29 nw st ltd with dual 4 1/2 foot fire sticks soon to be replaced with a 29 ltd bluetooth