1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CB / FM Radios????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Philbilly2, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What are these things called?

We are in the process of trying to set our trucks up with FM radios, the only problem that I am having is every time I try to search for them on the internet, I search FM Radio, and it tells me about the type that play music.

What should I be searching to find the type fo FM radios that you can talk back and forth on like a CB radio?????

2. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

VHF Business band radio

3. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

is it FRS radios that you are referring to?? most the decent ones now have quite a few mile range, with like 14 channels, and a bunch of "sub channels" making for a few hundred possible operating channels??

Matthew

4. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Member

You may want to look into GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service). I've had my GMRS license for many years and depending on your location, it may be enough for you.

FRS (Family Radio Service) channels are limited to 1/2 watt usage. GMRS portable (hand held) radios are authoriized up to 5 watts, mobiles average 15 watts up to 50 watts for a base station.

I believe my last license (5 years) was $80.00.

Steve

5. Philbilly2

I believe that it is the VHF radios that I am looking for. I just have to figure out how all the crap with them works

6. m297

m297 Member

Hey, I sent you a private message

7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

8. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

9. Philbilly2

Thank you for all your help so far. I am slowly starting to understand what I am looking at.

Thank you guys for the links. I looked through them. I know we are not looking for CB radios, we just have to find the right radios for what we are doing weather it be VHF/ UHF or what ever else is out there.

10. idaho Mike

idaho Mike Junior Member
    from idaho

What do these units run? Ball park?

11. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

$500.00 to 600.00 each you could get them cheaper, you with have to pay a repeater fee every month. They are worth it.don't mess around with cb's.you going to have to find a place that sells two way radios and offers a repeater service. We are on a uhf system since 1986.they work great .go with truck mounted radios forget the hand held models.depends on your needs..

12. Bporter

Bporter Senior Member

I wish there is somthing that has a 50 mile range that would be perfect for me.

13. ben@g2g

ben@g2g Junior Member

Why not get push to talk phones from a cell carrier. You can get plans extremely cheap, and have push to talk radios, and phone use as well. We just put these in the trucks this year. Seems to be a good option considering the price of those radios alone.

14. Philbilly2

We all have nextels.

The problem with nextels is if you are on the two way with somone, no one else can either call or two way you. So say you have a car coming around the side of the building that you are plowing the front lot and want to let the guys in the back of the building know to watch out, you are sitting there getting the "User not available" or User busy in Data" tone, if they are on the phone.

That brings me to the thought we had about using our nextels in the Direct Talk fuction. The problem then puts you that your phone and two way are now shut off to anyone who is not on the same direct talk channel. This will not work as our phones all need to be in service to recive incoming phone calls.

then if you have motorola talkabouts as we do, you can only cover so much ground before your range runs out because you are at the top end of a 160,000 person city, and can't even make it half way across town before all the homes a business kill your signal.

:dizzy::mad:

15. ben@g2g

ben@g2g Junior Member

Wow, I see what you're saying. We have Verizon ones, and haven't used them enough to find all of the downsides yet. Previously everyone just used their personal cell phones, so it's a step up for us. :)