1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Caught With My Pants Down

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by White Gardens, Nov 30, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

So the forecast was calling for 1-3 inches of snow last night into today.

So, I'm thinking that it will dust, temperature was suposed to be 36 today, it would melt off..............................................

How wrong I was. I bet we have had close to six inches heavy, wet snow, with a large part melting off though.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/weddings/map/interactive/61732?from=36hr_maps&zoom=8&interactiveMapLayer=radar&animation=true

Nov 30, 08.jpg

Nov30b, 08.jpg

I put the plow on in 15 minutes with my homemade Dolly, fixed the snowblower and other miner things and hit the road. Finished with my few accounts in 2.5 hours, and am now waiting for it to snow up to another 4 inches tonight.

Good stuff, and I wasn't ready.

Does this happen to you guys, or do you have everything ready way ahead of time.

Nov 30, 08.jpg

Nov30b, 08.jpg

2. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Where are you located?

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

It happens... Sometimes i get so tied up with leaves i get caught off guard when the snow hits. My new salt spreader hasnt come in yet so im hoping to squeeze by one more week.

4. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

usually us guys here in NJ get everything ready and wake up numerous times in the night and its still raining and raining... only to wake up in the morning to flash floods and oh more rain

5. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Probably WI if I was guessing. I'm in the reverse boat. I'm ready, but just keep getting dustings:realmad:

6. White Gardens

I'm located in central IL. Bloomington area to be exact.

7. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ok, I was 150 miles north LOL, at least I didn't bet the house:jester:

8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I'm ready, but all I'm getting up hear is dustings and rain. I hate rain!

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You should have something to do today and tomorrow. payup
    We got enough to plow north of you and I am headed out to sand/salt in the early morning tomorrow.

10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

it happens. we always try to be ready by nov 1st but im still not 100% complete with all of my repairs and what not

11. BK Hammer

BK Hammer Member

I'm ready sure enough. The weather is not cooperating. We received half an inch last night. Maybe Wednesday. It will probably come in gobs when it does!!

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our weather forecasters here are rediculos some times. The last big event we had was a week or so ago and even as it was snowing like hell she said "a coating to an inch along the lake shore". By then we had well over 4-5". But luckily people around here seem to understand how messed up the weather can be.

13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Why, in 15+ years of snow removal, that has never happened to me, never. :cool:

NOT
    at least once a year. (snow can be very unpredictable here)

In fact, last year I was sitting on the computer farting around early one morning and one of my shovel guys calls me and says "ummm, are we going?"

What do you mean, I was out to get the paper about an hour ago, it wasn't snowing.

"Look out your window."

An inch on the ground in the last hour while I was just sitting at the computer.

Oppps :nod:

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

We've been ready for about two weeks. I've stepped down to just doing installs and maintenance, no more plowing for me....payup

15. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

The only time I've had to plow this year is when the wife woke me up at 6:00 and said, "you better take a look out side." 3 other times this year I thought I could plow I got up on time and all I did was drive around.

16. White Gardens

Update.

Went out at 5 am today to clean up the 3 inches that fell last night.

All in all it went pretty good. I didn't have any sand in the truck to weigh down the rear so that made for some fun situations. I had to shovel snow into the back, dig around the tires a couple of times and clean off the moldboard as it stuck with heavy wet snow. That happened about 3 times out at my in-laws farm house. The ground isn't completely frozen and it was a gravel drive, so it sucked.

Luckily in Town ( Bloomington ) I had no problems getting around with minimal weight.

Not too bad considering I don't have too many accounts, picked up two today, a resi and a gos station, which helped, and I also got two billable plows in. Some winters we don't get any snow.

17. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Im not luckey enough to have that happen to me!:realmad:

18. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

All week they were calling for a Northeastern here, 8+ then last night they changed it to rain..... plow went on yesterday morning, and came off this am..... Bet the first time I say screw it and wait to put the plow on, it will snow 8" and my blade will be frozen to the ground.....

19. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I felt like a dope!:D

20. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I was watching the Weather network non-stop the whole day getting ready for this last snow fall...so nope I'm a nervous nelly.