1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Caught off gaurd!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Jan 16, 2005.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Got off work this morning from the FD and noticed that it was snowing very lightly and barely covering the ground. I didnt even know it was supposed to snow last night and there definately was not enough to plow. I live just 20 minutes south east of where I work and boy was I shocked. Snow has covered the ground and there is more than enough to plow. I was shocked, not to mention caught off gaurd! Snow was coming down hard to. Put a smile on my face after a shytee night of work. Just was amazed at what a difference the amount of snow I got compared to where I work in such a short distance. Decided to snap off a pic while I was finishing up this afternoon. Unfortunatly, some of my accounts were in the area that did not receive enough snow to plow. :realmad:

100_0666 (Small).JPG

100_0665 (Small).JPG
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Atleast you got to plow though. We haven't got anything since that record storm 2 weeks ago. :eek:
  3. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

Thats happened to me a few times, now i find myself getting up and checking throughout the night even if its not in the forecast.
    Glad you got to use that Blizzard though - pics look good!
  4. Cfdff85

Cfdff85 Member

How do you like your plow (blizzard)?
  5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Same here, when ever I get up to go to the bathroom, I look out the window :)

Back on topic, glad ya got to use the plow :) Looks like you had fun!
  6. clncut

I really like the Blizzards, as you may have seem in many other post by others, they do seem to be built very well. I have not been able to play with many other plows but I really like how fast the plow goes on and off the truck and also how fast the blade is. I also like the clean look by not having any chains hanging off my truck. The plow I purchased is only 550lbs so that is the only negative issue I have right now. But plowing with a half ton there are limitations. All in all, very pleased!
  7. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

do you have timbrens, or have cranked the tortion bars, or replaced the tbars.

thinking of plowing with a 97 ford 150, and i like the way your rig looks. where abouts in nw indiana. might want to come and look at it. indy here
  8. Jone43

Jone43 Member

Nice dry snow. Easy on equiptment. We are jealous down here in NJ. Hopefully snow coming Saturday into Sunday. I hope so, I am bored out of my mind so far this winter.
  9. clncut

I did not touch the torsion bars, when installed the dealer was impressed with the way the truck handled the plow without doing any modifications. I did go ahead and install timbrens and did make a difference in how much the truck dropped. I live in Valparaiso, about 2.5 hrs N. of Indy. Let me know if your interested in coming up.
  10. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

yep, know where exactly that is, been there a couple of times on business, maybe i can get up there again on business, wink wink. might have to bring my partner in this deal with me, it is his truck...lol...

i think i read specs of 550#s for the blade, how much does the mount weigh, and how much does it drop the front of the truck? i am thinking of swapping out the t-bars for the 7700# ones (same as plow prep package) prior to adding plow. (truck already has trans cooler due to tow package).

if the dealer was happy with how it reacted, why did you add timbrens? about what did you drop for the plow and for the timbrens if you don't mind me asking....remember, gotta sell the partner....lol
  11. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

what makes the 550 lb weight an issue.....too much, or not enough to do good scraping?
  12. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Oh NOOOooo...Im not going to complain. We have had to push the last 2 weekends in a row here in Indy. Fine by me that the weather gussers have been wrong ( both times said just a little snow) at this rate, i may not have to work this summer :p
  13. clncut

I did not measure the distance of the drop prior the timbrens but it did seem to be substantial. Lets say, more than I wanted. Since I dont have the plow package I figured any supporting help to the front end would not hurt, hense purchasing the timbrens. I want to say the truck drops around a half inch now. (Measured before but cant remember exactly) Little stiffer of a ride without the plow on but I can deal with it.

The price of the timbrens were 150.00 and the plow was 3364.00 with tax installed. As far as weight goes, pushing forward there has not been any problem, but I do mostly driveways and backdragging takes a couple of passes to clear down to pavement where I feel more weight could possibly help this.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you may have.

14. Goose2169

Goose2169 Junior Member

Nice to see another FF that is addicted to plowing. I guess I'm not the only one! LoL May the season be very profitable for all!

15. insnow4fun

insnow4fun Member
    from Indiana

clncut and goose...

well, i guess i fit into this thread for two reasons.... have the f150 and want to plow....and just joined the fireservice last april. volunteer only...too old to make a go at a career.....wished i knew then what i know now syndrome...lol

thanks for the info, john.... will have to let ya know if i need or want to come up and take a peek. talked to my partner tonight, and i think he is leaning towards a boss instead of the blizzard. his truck, his plow kind of thing.....i will be leasing the truck from him for a while....lol
  16. clncut

Your Welcome, Good luck on whatever you choose. I did look at Boss but the plow seemed to heavy for my truck. They are nice plows though and many here swear by them. Sounds like this is going to be a snowy week around here so hopefully Ill keep busy breakin in that plow! payup
  17. Goose2169

Goose2169 Junior Member

We're paid on call here. We have 2 guys on round the clock made up of paid on call guys, I'm only 23 so I'm think about maybe some day making it a career. Ive been in the Fire service for a little over a year. Glad I got into it as well as plowing. Plowing pays the bills and the FD takes care of the excitement part. lol