1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Caught by Surprise!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RB, Jan 21, 2002.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

Does anyone know the feeling??

Woke up this a.m. at about 7:00 a.m. turned on the tv and heard them talking about school delays! Jumped out of bed, looked out of the window and saw the rain that started around 3 a.m. turned to snow! Only about 1.5 inches, but enough that I should have had them salted by 7:00 a.m.

Well I jumped in my clothes, loaded salt and off I went. Fortunately, it was rather warm about 32 degrees when I started and it got warmer as the morning went on. I salted all my lots in about half the time it usually takes. I skipped a few walkways, but they melted when I checked them later in the a.m. Only had one call from a Physical Rehab Center that called and made a joke about forgetting them. I have to have them salted by 7:00 a.m. I got there at about 8:00a.m to see the walkways shoveled. I spread a little salt and immediately went in to talk to the supervisor. I told him this snow really caught my by surprise. I didn't know what he would say, but when he laughed and said it caught everyone by surprise I felt better. I gave him a couple freebees and off I went.

I'm so glad I didn't wake up to more snow. Did this ever happen to anyone where they got more snow than a couple of inches? I'd like to hear the stories.'

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

It's happening right now. Forecast was for 1-2" today and another 2-4" by tomorrow morning. Got 4+" with the first snowfall by 7:00 this evening. Went out and did some plowing tonight on a steep path that needs to be done so I don't get bogged down by deep snow. It's quit now, but I don't know if the forecast means more tonight or if it's done for tonight or what. If it was done, I'd go around my route and get a full night's sleep. Not exactly what you're talking about, but that 4" did catch me by surprise this evening.
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Happened to me on our first of only two plowable events. In fact, a plow is what woke me up. I looked out the window and just about sh#%! Fortunately there wasn't enough for what my contracts are set at, that came a couple hours later. I think the guy I heard plowing was stretching it a little, trying to get an early start. I think if I did mine then, people would have been pissed. Alarm clock gets put by my head now though.:D
  4. bubble boy

bubble boy Member

had a bit of a surprise this morning. nothing called for, but then lake effect (i assume) came in. only about 1 1/4 inch, our trigger is 1 1/2. we plowed anyway, tried to use 2 wheel drive as roads were just about dry.

BTW anyone know how bad in $ can the damage be by driving in 4x4 when its dry? what exactly would i damage?

neighbors plow guy once came twice while i was in bed[. second time i decided to head out, figured maybe i was waiting too long. hardly no plow company's were out until hour later in the night. it turned out i could have waited. was weird, he is usually quite late to get to my neighbor. must have done his list backward that one time.

once was having a few pops, only a trace was predicted. 3" later realized i had to get to bed. 3 hours and a couple inches later got up and plowed. rookie risks-told myself never again and haven't yet.
  5. Waterchikn

Waterchikn Senior Member

Was at the hospital this morning and heard on the radio that they closed part of the freeway bacause
    of ice and accidents. Got on the phone and checked to make sure that all my lots were ok, they were, it must have been a bridge that the freezing rain caught everyone by surprise. Being in at the hospital I kinda felt helpless. Oh well, that kinda stuff is going to happen. Its the nature of the nature. ha

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

don't get too comforable , thats always when the weather bites you!
  7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

The previous winter, I learned the hard way about "plowing with the storm". Began snowing in the evening, and I figured I could just deal with it in the morning like I had always done for the past 3 seasons.

Wrong! The snow kept up through the night and into the next morning, couple with plenty of wind. It was all I could do to wallow out of the parking lot....................... :( Fortunately, all I was plowing at that time was my workplace and my own shop. But I sure didn't get them done in a very "timely" manner................

Last week contractor I plow for slept in by a few hours, normally we keep tabs on each other via the cell phone: He'll be doing his residentials, I have 3 lots to do in the industrial park. Couldn't figure out why he wasn't answering the phone, but the lots needed plowing IMO so I went and did them, left a couple messages on his phone during the course of the night.

Mine rang at about 6:00 am, turned out he had been up at 2:00 as per the plan, but had dozed off again........................ Worked out OK in the end because the residentials weren't as big a panic to "must have" done by 8:00 am, and I had the last of the lots finished up by 6:30 am :D

Now, since the plan is to head out and plow tonight, I better get going so I'm not late.......................
  8. casey

casey Banned

Bubble Boy, you'd wear the ball joints driving dry.
    BTW, You're doing res. only? why were you in such a tizzy?
    1 1/4" I started 1pm at my leisure, had 1 guy in, finished by 6pm. Saw some guys plowing the 1 1/4" drop res. props but why?? They had shovel guys cleaning up the edges, working the garage fronts, steps, walks etc. I used 2 guys, 30" shovels & beat them every time. You guys have to learn when to leave the big toy at home.
  9. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I wish I could wake up suprised tomorrow morning. It is predicted to be in the 50's. This morning it snowed 1.5 inches and melted off by 9:30. I am beginning to think this winter is going to be a total writeoff. It really is a shame for my first one with my own truck.:(
  10. bubble boy

bubble boy Member

casey-how much would ball joints run me?

believe me, we have about 150 customers and get at least 5 calls once a half inch hits the ground. yesterday got about 10 calls while we were on the road, some twice. didn't go out till about 11:00 anyway. when i pull up to some houses i barely have half the walk shovelled and the customer is poking their head out the door. we'd be dead if we constantly made people wait. all they'd have to do is stand at the bottom of the drive 5 min and they'd have 3 business cards and next year they'd be gone.

as for the toy, i paid for it i'd be a fool not to use it. i hate shovelling, my biz partner hates shovelling. and the guy i have running our third blade won't shovell at what i pay him. BTW he gets a flat rate for the season so i make him earn it when it does actually snow.

with the winter being so light we figured it can only help if the customer sees us doing some work.
  11. casey

casey Banned

You should move to the west end. They could stand out there all day & night & not get 1 card. Can't believe your res. customers were flipping out after a 1" fall that ended after rush hour on a work week. They had allready gone to work. They couldn't get out? Sounds like you need a better working relationship with these customers. Are you 100%res?
    Guessing about $400 labour & $350 parts for upper & lower ball joints. Driving dry causes wear on the drivetrain & tires.
  12. diginahole

diginahole Member

I don't claim to be any sort of a mechanic but I believe you would more likely to be damaging U-joints and axle splines by making sharp turns in 4wd. You will feel the u-joints jumping when you make turns in 4wd because the axle actually speeds up and slows down with every turn of the axle when the u-joint is in the bent position. If your truck has cv joints beware, they carry a heavy price tag. I think ball joints would wear at nearly the same rate in 2 or 4wd??? I could be wrong, it's happened before.
  13. casey

casey Banned

Had upper & lower ball joints along with the front stub axel joints replaced a couple years ago on a '96. Mechanic claimed dry four wheeling & running over rec. speed in 4low contributed. Also have a '97 that recently checked out fine & gets less 4 wheel use.
  14. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I had an 82 Chevy K30 with a 6.2 diesel and an automatic transmission. My wife took it to the grocery store after the roads had all dried up, but it was still in 4 wheel. Gallon of milk, pound of hamburger, box of Hamburger Helper, transfer case for Chevy.... :mad: