1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Caterpillar 236B Stolen!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coops784, Feb 25, 2013.

1. coops784

coops784 Junior Member
    from Boston

I've been on long time viewer of this site and unfortunately never made a post before. Earlier this evening we went to view our accounts in Marshfield, MA in order to make plans for the early morning. Around 10:30 PM visiting of our sites in Marshfield on 139...we found our Caterpillar skid steer 236B was gone. Stolen! Along with our cam superline trailer (yellow). The skid steer had Brat Landscaping on the side and rear. It was dropped off on Friday late afternoon at a business complex behind where Mama Mia's was in the same building as Dunkin Donuts. If anyone saw it on the road after 4PM on Friday or has any information please contact me at 781 831 5540 or Marshfield Police. Any help would be greatly appreciated or anyone who has past experience or information that could help us...THANKS![​IMG]

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Sorry to hear that, thieves are the worst especially since it looks like you really need it. Well keep our eyes peeled in eastern ny for you, best of luck in finding it.

3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

eyes open in southern maine.

4. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Sorry to hear. Keep my eyes open if it happens to make its way down to CT or Craigslist -have been shopping for another one of these so if it pops up on there I'll post it here.

5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Bummage. VIN?

Some pretty identifying marks on that machine. I'll keep an eye out in SE WI.

Let's nab the crook and prosecute!

6. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

"Along with our cam superline trailer (yellow)"

You made a VERY serious mistake in this one. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER leave the trailer with the equipment. That means that all the bad guys have to do is hitch up and drag it all away. Anybody with ANY pickup could have grabbed the whole thing. Keeping the trailer AWAY from the equipment would have required that the thief HAVE a trailer needed to take away the equipment. That eliminates 99.99% of potential thieves.

In my youth, I knew people who WOULD have taken your equipment if they came across it left the way you did. Being opportunistic douchebags, they certainly wouldn't have been equipped to grab it had you not left the trailer with it.

Hope it never happens to you again. Doubt you'll be seeing it again.

7. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I don't see a huge problem leaving a trailer w/ the equipment, provided the pintle is locked and a heavy piece of equipment is backed up to it (w/o the keys, of course).

In the future, you may want to place a GPS tracker on the frame.

8. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I hope the OP get's to see the equipment again........

9. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Looks pretty new, how old is is? if they peeled stickers off would the paint be faided around them yet? Hope you can find it. I'll keep an eye out here in western Canada

10. GVL LLC

GVL LLC Senior Member

This world is so screwed up. i just bought a new tractor for my landscaping company and im afraid to leave it on any job because of scum like this. Hope you get it back. Ill keep my eyes peeled here in central MA

11. coops784

coops784 Junior Member
    from Boston

It was a crazy day going thru all the motions...police, caterpillar, insurance etc. I'd like to thank everybody's willingness to keep and eye out. Unfortunately a few mistakes we're made...not having GPS installed was a big one, just something we never thought of and perhaps being niave but it never crossed our minds that our skid steer would be stolen from a dedicated snowplow account. It was parked in front of the trailer; blocking it...however what good does that do really when all cat keys run all machines. I suppose it's easy to say the trailer shouldn't of been with it but i think it would be easier and quicker for someone to use their own instead of pulling in moving my machine, hooking up to my trailer etc etc. Alot of things can be said in hindsight. Now all of our equipment and trucks will be equiped with GPS, Kill switches etc etc. Hopefully others can learn to do the same from reading this.

Again thanks and maybe all hope isn't lost...

12. jasonv

from kannada

Learn how to quote.

Where did you read that **I** read that it was on the trailer?

No, clearly, if they have an IQ below 14, they may not be able to figure out how.

Alternatively, sure, they can hook a chain onto a 5000 pound piece of equipment and drag it down the road with their mom's dodge dart.

13. jasonv

from kannada

The problem is that theft is almost always OPPORTUNISTIC. How many guys are cruising around with an empty equipment trailer looking for stuff to steal? The answer is NONE. If it takes planning, arranging for special equipment, etc., then the majority of such as.s turds will be far too lazy to go through with it, either that or have second thoughts and decide against it. If they're going to be starting the machine either way (which they would have to do if they brought their own trailer as well), then they might as well load it onto the free trailer that you provided.

And FYI: Most equipment can be started with a flat screwdriver in the ignition switch. For the rest, its quite literally a 3-wire operation.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

In case you didn't read it the second post by the OP, most equipment brands use the same key for all their equipment. So, if you have a CAT key, you have every CAT key. Not really hard to get your hand's on a CAT key, put that key in the ignition, and start the machine and drive away without a trailer. But, of course you already knew this, as well as everything else.................Thumbs Up

15. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Sorry man - aways wish I could catch these pieces of trash in the act - eyes open down here...

16. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

If they want it they will take it. A. Few years ago my buddy lost a JD back hoe from a cinema complex. That is not a crime of opportunity. They came in with truck and trailer.

17. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Hope you get your machine back in one piece. Thieves suck :gunsfiring:

LOL! Learn how quote, sheesh :laughing:

18. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

We had two F350's with plows stolen out of our yard a number of years ago. The thieves climbed over the 8-foot chainlink fence, jimmied open the driver's door on each truck, broke off the locks on the steering columns and hotwired the trucks and drove out the gate without opening it first.

We found out when the police called us because the patrol car found the gate lying on the ground.

They found one of the trucks a couple of weeks later driving along with the lock cylinder hanging out of the door. When they stopped the truck, they found that the driver was using a screwdriver for an ignition key. He got off - swore in court that he bought the truck like that from some guy.

We found out about the replacement truck being stolen a couple of months later when the cops called us to tell us that one of our trucks had been stolen. When we arrived at the yard, they were waiting to question us. They knew the truck was out of the yard because it was seen being used a couple of miles away in a warehouse robbery so they thought they should check our yard to see if we were back with the stolen goods. :confused:

19. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Very sorry to hear that. All of our worst nightmare...

I will keep an eye out in NE Mass, and inform others in my general area of it.

The issue with skid steers is their size.. In reality the thing could be in a shipping container with a bunch of others already on its way to China by now...

20. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry for your stolen CAT skid. I hope you get it back asap and without any damage.