1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Catalitic Converter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PremierLand, Nov 28, 2005.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Well today I finally got my rattle fixed. When I bought my truck in May with 35k miles on it, it had the rattle, it ended up being the catalitic converter, and I finally got around today to getting it fixed. My truck now has 60k miles.

Anyway, whats causes them to go out like that, my last truck (dodge dakota) had the same thing happen at 30k miles. Is it just corrossion that eats them up or something or what?

Not really a big deal, just wondering if this will be a common thing when ever I get a new truck?

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Usually I see that sort of thing on cheapie aftermarket cats.... not OEM. We just replaced the original one on my mom's '93 Oldsmobucket. It lasted 12 years.

How did you manage to put 25k miles on in six monthes?? Was it that busy of a season for you?

3. rawfish

rawfish Member

Sometimes when an engine burns hot and the EGT is high it will do damage to the cat. They sometimes get hot and pluged as the holes melt togather or just crack like in your case. Have you done alot of heavy towing or load down the engine alot? i.e. pulling a heavy trailer loaded the bed town, plowed allot?

4. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

If your truck is less than 8 yrs old I hope you didnt pay for it. convertors are covered by a 8yr/80k federal warrenty if you had the dlr replace it and they charged you get your money back.

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Ya 25k in 6 months, it was a busy season.

And no I didnt pay for it. It has less than 80k and my warranty is up in 200 miles.

And with 200miles left, and my luck, my Check engine light came on this morning!!!