1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

catalatic converters

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wilburn, Mar 4, 2010.

1. wilburn

wilburn Member
    from Troy

My cat. converters are bad on truck and ford wont stand behind them. They are out of warranty. They only cover them for 50000 miles and I have 78000 on them. They cost $2000.00 at dealer does anyone know where you can buy replacements aftermarket? My truck is a 06 F-350 with 5.4 motor. Thanks for any help.

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I believe emissions stuff should be covered longer ford might be yanking your chain. If no you need to hit up a good local muffler shop. They would probably be 1/2 the price.
    Robert

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Why even put it back on? You living in California or something?

4. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

I would go check with another dealer, I am almost positive they MUST cover them for 8year 80000 miles, Unless they are damaged, modified or something aftermarket was installed and caused the damage.

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

cars 80,000

trucks over 8500lbs 50,000 miles

6. Plowfixguys

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Summit Racing has universal fit ones for under $75/piece I believe.

8. wilburn

wilburn Member
    from Troy

Thanks for all the replies. 50,000 is it for warranty. I was told if i take cats off my gas mileage would go down because it will run lean and want more gas dumped in. If it wasn't for that i'd gut them. I called Brown mfg. they asked if i was dealer so they wouldn't help me but said i could get my auto store to call and they would deal with them. So tomorrow I'll let them call and we'll see what happens.

9. Plowfixguys

If you have a problem with the parts store let me know, I have a distributor near me and I could get them for you and ship them out to you.

10. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

What are your symptoms? Is it a check engine light or that they are plugged up? I ask because there is a local re manufacturer or catalytic converters who suggests using SeaFoam to clean the converter first before condemning them. If you do try SeaFoam use the whole can in the engine and wait at least an hour before restart. Twice if it is bad and some in the fuel after to maintain. I have done this on three vehicles with a DTC code 420 "catalyst below threshold" and it works. But that means you still need to find out why they failed prematurely or it will happen again. So if you fix,rebuild or replace make sure the cause of their failure is repaired as well.

11. wilburn

wilburn Member
    from Troy

I was getting codes p0430 and p0171. Truck has no power and I took it in paid my $80 to put it on dealer computer. I was hoping to get this covered by Ford, but service mang. didn't explain himself well and ford denied. They had asked for service records and saw i replaced a coil pac and ford said thats what caused it. I replaced the coil pac as soon as it started missing, I didn't drive around months without changing it. Anyways i'm gonna try the seafoam. I have heard of seafoam but have never used it. Do you pour it in gas tank as you said let it sit for an hour? Do you pour it in pipe and let it sit? How do yo suggest it be used. Thanks for any help. I am also gonna call Brown Mfg.as soon as they open.

12. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Aftermarket cats are cheap, then just have them welded in.

13. mrv8outboard

P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

P0430 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

It looks like you have a vacuum leak. This can cause an over fueling condition that can flood the cat. Find the vacuum leak and run a can of SeaFoam through it to clean up the cat. DO NOT install a new cat with out fixing the cause i.e. P0171.

14. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Sea foam gets mixed in with the gas.If I remember right one can will treat 40 gals of gas.

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If it was missing it probably did it a while before it became noticeable. Enough raw gas in the cat will cause it to over heat, killing it. You have to have the cat's because with OBDII it has after cat O2 sensors. Changing the o2 sensors on a high mile truck can make a world of difference too.

16. mrv8outboard

Seafoam can go in the tank but the best treatment is to inject it into intake and fog it out. Let it sit the burn it off.

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A shop I worked at part time in high school had a drip setup for it. You poured it in a bottle with a hose and control valve. You dripped it in at idle. Just to the point the engine was about to stall.

18. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Try calling Ford direct. Your dealer should give you the number. We just had a bad one on and 05 550 with 63k and they would not warranty at the dealer. We called Ford and told them that it was ridiculous that their product would not be covered and they agreed and ate the cost. What year is the truck?

19. wilburn

wilburn Member
    from Troy

It was 06. Ford did turn me down. I think Mon. i'm gonna call ford and complain more.