1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

catalatic converter

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dany, Feb 12, 2003.

1. dany

dany Member

Not a ford but dont know where else to ask.

Are catalatic converters supposed to glow cherry red? This is on a 92VW jetta 1.8L. After getting up to speed pretty quick in highway traffic as soon as i let off the car went putt putt a few times and died. You could start it back up and would do the same skipping deal. There is plunty of fuel and spark. The car after idleing would do the same thing a couple days befor and if you revved it up it would come out of it. So do u think athe cat is clogged?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If the cat is glowing cherry red,then it is it raw fuel entering the cat,causing it to overheat.The cat is doing it's job as a catalyst,and burning up all the excess fuel which creates heat.The cat would probably now be damaged so it may have to be replaced.

If it is plugged or has come apart,you will usually see a lack of power,but it won't usually get that hot.

I would look for the cause upstream first,before replacing the cat.Leaky injector,O2 sensor,leaking or stuck fuel pressure regulator,ign misfire,etc,etc.

3. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I'd say it's clogged. If it is flanged on both ends, you can take it off and fab up a temporary bypass pipe to see if that fixes the problem. A temporary bypass is legal under Federal law for testing, you just can't leave it on permanently. (legally). Could be the car is running rich and sooting the converter, or it could just be plugged with age.