1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CAT tracked skids....opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by BMWSTUD25, Feb 10, 2010.

1. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Looking to upgrade and add another skid in the near future. My question is for you guys with these? where are you located? how well does it push, and what size blade or pusher do you use? I know there are a few in Buffalo on here that use them and your opinion would be greatly appreciated. i already know how it will be in the summer but im looking for your opinions on them in the snow. Thanks!!!

really only interested in 277, 287, 297 and 279, 289, 299 model CAT skids

2. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

I'm somewhat in the same boat as you.

From what I've been able to gather the XX7 series have plastic/rubber rollers and are meant for somewhat mild terrain. The tracks look more like a turf track. You can find these in the used market now.

The XX9 series have an undercarriage similar to the larger steel track loaders and are much heavier duty. The tracks are beEfier as well. They should go anywhere. These are probably too new to show up used anywhere.

Both of them have a longer track base than tired skid steers so they can carry more and are more stable.

I have a sub that has the Loegering track set up on his 236B and I've seen him take that machine on some pretty steep slopes that I would never take my 252 tired machine.

Check out these videos...
    http://www.loegering.com/gallery/index.asp?owner=track_systems&owner_id=1

The tracks on these videos are what the XX9 series machines have.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

We have an 8ft (I think) Avalanche steel trip edge pusher on our 257B and it handles it fine.

We dedicate the machine to two side by side mid sized industrial lots which would normally take a pickup with a v-plow approx 6 hours. This machine/pusher combo will do them both in 4.

Been using this setup for the last 5 years with no problems. I'm sure any of the machines you're looking st could easily handle a 10 or 12 ft Arctic Pusher.

4. black7.3

black7.3 Junior Member

We've got a 277 at work and im not impressed, its low on power and the undercarriage gets rebuilt every year because its just a crap design. In the snow it does ok, The single joystick control makes it easier to maintain traction and is easier on the operator. We also have a bobcat T300 and its twice the machine the cat is.

5. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I have a CAT 297c It's awesome. I've never used a wheeled skid before only track (Takeuchi tl230, JD CT322, and a Cat257) I have a 8' snow wolf with quick release box blades.

Here some pics.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=98939&highlight=snow+wolf

Arctic snow and ice who makes the sectional snow pusher claimed the 297c could push a 14' light duty pusher. I haven't tried nor have i done any research on that subject.

I can push through about 6 yards of medium weight snow before i loose traction. IF you call MILTON CAT in Batavia ask for Shawn Pies. He really helped me out with questions and options. He will go to great distances to find what you want. He doesn't pressure you into a sale either. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  6. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

x2 The 300 is awesome, toe to toe far better in a battle.

7. SMLCAT

SMLCAT Member

icudoucme-

That's a nice set up.
    If you don't mind me asking how much the whole system weighs and how do you move it from job to job (what kind of truck and trailer)?
    Thanks.

8. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

really not interested in hearing about other brands and other sizes. I've already made my mind up on what I want to get. I just want to know what you guys think that run these in the snow. Also if you could tell me what year the machine is helps to as there is more than one generation of them. Thanks!!!

9. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

bobcat 300 and a CAT 277 really arent apples to apples if we are going to compare them

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

BMW.....why a track machine? Do you have a reason other than snow for this purchase? Or is snow the "primary" reason.....If so, I would be looking at tire machines....it will be quicker, better traction (w/ dedicated snow tires), ALOT less $ to maintain in the long term, less upfront purchase price, and a more comfortable ride. I have owned/run both track & tire machines from just about all the makers out there. If I were to buy a SS primarily for snow work, there is no doubt it would be a 2speed SS with a set of dedicated snow tires.

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sno... I have been looking at a Cat 297c real seriously for my next machine. I have always been a Bobcat guy. The tracks on these machines are better than those offered by Bobcat for snow removal. This machine for me would do everything! Snow, mud, dirt, lift and basically KICK @ss! The only problem I see is the fact that it's YELLOW! :cry: They do offer custom paint in the brochure. Don't know what that involves or if it's possible. Anyway, these machines look like they will do everything real well.

12. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

It has an operating weight of 10,000lbs....without any attachments. Right now I don't have anything big enough to tow it. So I hire a local company to move it. They normally move it on a large flatbed tow truck. I was going to get a new 287c with less options , but for less money(~$10,000) I could get a larger machine pretty much fully loaded and a year older. The cost to have someone move it 100 miles is $250 within 50 miles just about 100. I don't need to moved to far to often so for me it works.

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree they are better than Bobcat/Tak/Deere (any solid mount track system) for pushing snow.....But I dont know his situaion? Is he a landscaper that would use this machine year round, and benefit from "that style track system", and it be his"only" machine? Or is this gonna be a snow only machine?
    Like I said, I would go with a tire machine for the previous stated reasons "IF" it were purchased primarily for snow work. JMO

14. bry03

bry03 Junior Member

i got a 287c loaded and love it.. push a 10 snow box all day long.. it likes its fuel but pushes in high all day. and does a great job...

15. pch1

pch1 Junior Member

I have owned 2 - 277's 1 - 287 and had lots of problems with the ASV under carriage but Cat stood behind them. Traded for 4 - 277B's had less problems, I purchased the 3 year 2000 hour warranty (the only way to go)At 1900 to 2000 hours when I Traded for 4 - 277C's I had and average of $23.00 per hour less fuel and labor in the 277B's I spent $2,800.00 each at 1200 hours on sprocket rollers, but I only replaced 1 track on all 4 machines at 1900 to 2000 hours when we traded, I have to have the track because we are in sand but if I were in clay or hard surface I would have 2 speed wheeled machines. The 77's do not have a very aggressive tread which I like in the summer but not very good in the winter.

16. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

It would be used year round for different landscaping jobs and at this point only maybe for snow. Im sold on a track machine as I already have a wheeled skid to use here and there. I want a solid, powerful track machine with lots of options and after using one of the 297C this summer I am sold on one of the bigger models as stated in the opening post. I have heard that a lot of guys run 10' and even 12' pushers on them but wanted to actually here from those guys.I really like all the tracked CAT skids I have run but I want one with some serious power and lifting capacity so that I can expand the services I offer with the skid steers. after hearing nother but rave reviews on the new sectional pushers that would probably be what I would want to mate up with one of these skids and potentially a blower so after it was done doing commercial work it could go blow resi's or something.

17. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That's actually a great question and a consideration that's often times overlooked. I've never towed a Cat that big, but putting a Bobcat T300 behind our International is a huge difference in towing.

Am I reading that right, your saying the cost to maintain was $23.00 per hour? Like 200 hours equalled $4600? Not doubting you at all, that just seems crazy high.

18. hitachiman 200

Who's comparing them

a 279 compares to a T250
    a 299 compares to a T300

Both of which are in your OP, take your pick. IMO Bobcats the winner

19. hitachiman 200

Wow, probably the cost of replacing all the plastic and rubber bits. If true....run don't walk

20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why is Bobcat the winner?