1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat snow blower attachment

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Jsch2000, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Jsch2000

Jsch2000 Junior Member

I'm looking to replace my snow blower for my CTL. I am currently running a Buhler. Been running it on a Deere 323D high flow. Most of the snow work I do is removing the snow banks off the top decks of parking garages. I have used the Erskine. I found the Erskine dose not hold up structurally over time. The hydraulics do operate flawlessly. The Buhler operates the front auger and inner impeller with a chain drive off independent hydraulic motors. I have had problems from time to time with the chains and needing adjustments often. I prefer the direct drive off the motors.

Dose anyone have experience with the Cat blowers? I know Cat sometime back bought Loegering's design. They are the only ones that has the inner impeller located opposite of a traditional snow blower impeller. How well do they operate, how durable and reliable? Thanks!

2. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

We just bought one. Obviously haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. But I did a lot of research before purchasing. Very solid construction! Weighs over 1,200lbs! We have an older snow blower (brand escapes me right now) that only weighed 750 lbs. After a half dozen times we had to re-fabricate it adding several hundred pounds of new steel to it. We have also been very happy with FFC's blower as well.

3. Jsch2000

Jsch2000 Junior Member

Sthoms3355 have you had an opportunity to use your Cat snow blower yet? If so how do you like?

4. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

We just used it yesterday on 4-5". Haven't talked with my operator yet. Will let you know. My FFC busted something internally, dropped several gallons of hydraulic oil on ground. Fun, fun, fun!

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I was researching blowers last season. I haven't bought one yet, but I really liked the Quick Attach brand. They claim to match the hydro motor to your specific machine. It also looked well built. Consider checking it out.

6. Jsch2000

Jsch2000 Junior Member

I used to own one. Depending on how you are planning on using the blower, they can be a great blower. They do a good job matching the hydraulic motors to the gpm output of the machine. I had one for 3 years. What I found the housing began to brake at the welds. As well the inner housing of the impeller began to wear thin. I attributed a lot of this to how I used it. Most of the time I was moving snow piles from the end of the parking lot and along the curb lines. So most of the time I was handling snow that was rolled, turned and compacted. if you are looking to use it in places where the snow is fresh as fallen it will serve you well. I am now running a Buhler blower. It is built more for a municipal application. It performs well. And is structurally holding up very well. What I don't like about it. It has independent drive motors for the front auger and inner impeller. But uses drive chains between the hydraulic drive motors and augers. They need frequent attention. I prefer direct drive off the hydraulic motors. So I am looking at different blowers again.

7. Jsch2000

Jsch2000 Junior Member

Any updates on the new Cat snow blower?

8. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

Works great for the two small storms we have had. Will let you know if we get a wet and/or heavy storm.

9. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

Hey Jsch2000. I personally used the 262D and CAT blower yesterday to cleanup a site and moves some large piles back. Works awesome. Made relocation of a dozen large piles quick work. Didn't think a std. flow model would work so good but cannot see the reason why you would want a high flow model. At this early point would definitely recommend. Of course, long term evaluation is still to come. I wish I would have had someone with me to video it but didn't.

10. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit