1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat Skidsteers

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Dynatech, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

2008 Cat 297c

image.jpg

2. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

My wife's grandpa has an issue with his Cat 277c... He can travel but has no boom or bucket function... Anyone else have this issue? We checked the solenoid at the right joystick, good... W checked the power and ground circuit to the solenoid back to the controller and had good continuity... I am convinced it's the controller but it's worth about $2000 and I don't want to get it wrong and cost him $2000...

3. duramax8611

duramax8611 Junior Member

Its most likely either the switch for your door that is bad or a broken wire in the harness to that switch. I have four C series cats and have had this happen a few times very easy to fix and not that exspensive for parts.

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Had the same thing with my 267. Turned out it was one of the computers on the machine. The computer board alone was 1500 but I had Caterpillar come out and make sure that was it before I spent the money on it. I would suggest having a tech look at it before you throw parts at it. Most Cat dealers are pretty good about helping you out with service calls. Also, if you load salt with it I would recommend you don't do it anymore. We went through 3 computer boards before finally figuring out that the housing for both boards has a design flaw which let's moisture in. Due to us using its to load salt the moisture was obviously salty as well and that's what fried ours. The problem is you can put a garden hose to the housing and it doesn't leak so finding where your moisture is coming in is a real PITA. Hope this helps

5. turn54

turn54 Senior Member

x2 on the door switch. Do you have any lights on the control panel staying on. My dad's 299c had the same problem and it was because the little bracket for the door switch got bent somehow. Just tweaked it back into place and all was well again.

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

X3. We had a sub 2 winters ago with 2 257's and both of them the door switch got screwed up and the boom and bucket wouldn't move but the machines would.

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Can't you just unplug the door switch, same as if you were using it in the summer with no door on... on a bobcat that solves all the problems...

8. duramax8611

Yes you can. Cat supplies a little jumper wire that should be attached to the harness. unplug the switch and plug that in and test the machine to see if it works as normal, just be careful to make sure your door is closed so you don't crush it with the boom. It could still be the ECM on the machine like Peter said but the door switch is a common problem with these machines as they get some hours on them

9. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

Yeah we plugged the jumper in that was supplied with the unit and still the same deal... Also the interlock light on the cluster is always on... Forgot to mention that...

10. duramax8611

we had the same thing one one of our machines i had bought a new switch put it in and still the same thing. The harness that runs that switch goes behind the plastic heat vent on that side and there was a broken wire in that harness near where it flexes when you open and close the door. Check that harness out since your interlock light is still on. The harnes isnt very long and you can get it easily from the cat dealer. My machine is a 2008 and the harness was uprgaded to a better one when I got the replacement