1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CAT Skid Steer - New Paint

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bplow, Mar 25, 2010.

1. bplow

bplow Member

Just painted my skid steer over the weekend and finished the decals tonight. Lot of work but worth it. Machine looks brand new now. I know its not going to perform any better or make me more money but its a millions times better than it looked before all scratched and faded. I just like to have decent looking equipment.

I also painted the bucket, forks, and plow. Cost me about $240 in paint.

Decals I made myself, so free for that.

2. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Have any before pics. It looks great.:nod:
  3. bplow

bplow Member

Unfortunately, this is the only before picture I have because I needed to to re-created the decal. Wish I got some of the entire machine.

4. 97f250Heavyduty

97f250Heavyduty Senior Member

Great job!!!
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ooo, Shiney...

Looks great, it came out really well.
  6. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Looks great. What steps did you take when painting it? My dad and I started painting our 260 last fall, but snow came and we never got finished, so we might redo it this summer. I just want to know what you did. Thanks.
  7. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

great job man :nod:looks brand new:drinkup:
  8. bplow

bplow Member

thanks for the comments. JaimeG this was my process.

Spray the entire machine with degreaser then powerwash. Then I removed all the decals with a heat gun, used lacquer thinner to remove any sticky glue left behind. I then removed the wheels from the machine and sanded the entire machine with 80 and 120 grit on an air sander. Just enough to hit any rust spot and blend in some scrathes. I then blew off all the dust, taped the machine up with plastic and sprayed it with 2 coats of this 2 part paint made my rust shield. Once dry, removed all the plastic and a few days later did the decals. Takes some time, definetely a weekend project.

The machine is also a 2001
  9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Looks great... you don't want to see the horror we did to an older Case...
  10. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I bet that was a lot of man hours. How did you make the decals?
  11. Pristine PM ltd

You buy them from the dealers.
  12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Looks AMAZING!

I recently did that to my trailer and you would swear that thing is brand new... Just like your skid steer... Im kinda starting to dig the revamping the old stuff for cheap and having it just as good or better then some of the new stuff thats out there....

How many hours are on the machine...
  13. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

If he had the pic to "re-create" the decals....I bet he went to a local decal shop.
  14. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Read the post lol. He said he maid them him self and cost nothing. He must be able to print stickers.
  15. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

well poop.....I read the post down a little bit further, like twice before I posted that one.....didn't bother reading the FIRST post of the thread.

hey, at least I was not the one asking!:drinkup: but I did give the SECOND wrong answer...haha
  16. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

You did a great job. That machine looks brand new !!
  17. bplow

bplow Member

The machine has about 2,900 hours. Maybe 60 hrs on the new perkins motor.

I did make the decals myself. I have the software and a vinyl cutter, I do make signs for a side business. Anyways, I take pictures of the original decals, import then in AutoCAD, scale them, trace them, then cut them with the vinyl cutter in another program. The Cat logo, you can get the vector file from www.brandsoftheworld.com if anyone else does signs and needs it.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

That thing looks beautiful. WOW~ Great job. Thats a big pc of Vinyl... if you find it always gets torn ect another things to do would be to cut the reverse tape it on and actually paint the logo or atleast the black part.
  19. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

20. Pristine PM ltd

sorry! I should have read it better as well! That is awesome, but if you can't make them yourself...dealer