1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cat skeedstires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by cricket, Sep 1, 2008.

1. cricket

cricket Junior Member

hey guys I'm looking to buy brand new cat skeedstier 262c or 272c with cab.for snowplowing.I would like to use 10' box.
    what you guys think witch one is better for the job.
    thanks
    cricket.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

a john deere

3. cretebaby

sorry i couldnt help myself

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Both skeedsteer's will do a geat job. Cat makes a great product.

5. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

Hah!

I had to keep saying "skeedsteer" with a southern accent. It's great.

I regularly plow with a 262 and 272 C model. I usually have a 10 foot pusher on them. They work great.

Remember, the 272C is bigger, and therefor you can usually push more. I did get one stuck this winter in a snow pile, it was all my fault, not the machine... And I was stuck good, but I just used the box to push me out.

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

is thier any reason for a vertical lift machine?.....they have thier pro's and con's you know.

272 is a new machine and it's a monster

PJ

7. cretebaby

what do you consider a con on the vertical lift

8. powerjoke

the con's are

they are not as good at cutting grade....i am not talking about gouging the ground and then backdraging it smooth :rolleyes:
    but with that being said.....track machines seem to be the exception to the rule(everyone seems to get along alright w/ them) and i think it's primaraly because the track hit's the ground BEHIND where the rear tire would

They tend to be real light in the front end.....so not alot of traction get's gained by the front tires.

pro's are

they carry more weight

and they have a longer wheelbase so they get around without OTT tracks a little better

any GOOD salesman will tell you that a vertical machine is a lift&carry machine,

a radius boom, is a good grader and is well balanced while unloaded. although they dont lift as high.

they will "doze" better also

i have had several CaT skid's and the 246 is my machine of choice.... i owned a 262 for all of about 2 month's. and then i had a 252 while one of my machines was down.

now they make a 256 witch is the same as the 272 but vertical.but i guess it's a huge machine....i think the 272 is a 4000lb and the 256 is a 3000lb :dizzy:

why do you think trackloaders and wheel loaders are not vertical lift ;)?

PJ

9. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

Maximum machine weight for a 272C is 9738 lb. 50% rated load is 3201 lb.

The maximum weight for a 256C is 8982 lb. 50% rated load is 2304 lb.

This is the machine full of fluids, WITHOUT worktool, other attachments, or operator.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  10. powerjoke

what's the tipping load of the new 256 though?

11. Zodiac

Zodiac Member

256C is 4608LB

272C is 6402LB

Rated loads are half of the tipping loads.