1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CAT question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by mike6256, Mar 29, 2012.

1. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

I am looking at a used 2005 252B skiddy and was told the hour meter broke and a "CAT tech" put it on a scanner and it has 1050hrs. Question is can the hours be read this way? There is a new meter on it now but shouldn't I be able to get some sort of a certified hour reading??

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about your exact machine, but yes they can read the hours with a scanner. The dealer just read the computer on my Kenworth to make sure the hours match the meter.
    If they will give you a certified reading, just ask them. Maybe they will give you a read out of the computer, just not certify it.

3. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

There is a ton of things the can read from the computer. We just sent a Kenworth dump truck in for an in-frame rebuild and the tech told us how many liters of fuel the truck has burnt in it's lifetime.

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd be surprised if you can on a skid, call the dealer and ask