1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CAT motor help

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by srl28, Dec 17, 2012.

1. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

We have a small Freightliner Fl-50 dump that is in need of a rebuilt Cat 3126 motor. Anyone out there have any good sources for one? Local junkyards and salvage companies arent turning up much. Pretty common motor.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 3126E also.I see them all the time in my TNT issues that come out twice a month,same issue as where you are in Jersey.Other sources are Cat dealers,Ebay,CL,just do an online search for the motor.Try to find one with either low miles and/or one from a small owner/operator who did good PM on it,especially changing the oil often which is critical on these due to the HEUI system.

3. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Yea ours always had a good amount of blowby but it just got worse and worse in the past year or so. Last time I drove it it really started to smoke and shake so I shut it down, it developed a really good knock and finally just locked up. Cat dealer is really only offering rebuilt for 7500 or new for $12-15k which I'm not doing. The truck has a clean 12' mulch body on it and a few guys have offered upwards of $4,500 for the whole truck as it sits right now but I'd really rather try to get it fixed and back on the road.

Your right, occasionally TNT has some listed but everything so far that I've called about never panned out. Either they wanted too much, didn't have any when I called, etc etc

4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

5. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Another question-I have a part time mechanic that could potentially do the engine swap, once we find one. Any idea how many hours roughly (ballpark) it would take to swap the engine in and out and hook everything up? Truck sits low and hood comes right off its nice easy access at least.

6. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Vander Haag's out of IA has just what I need I think, relatively inexpensive too, mostly used. Rebuilts even with the core charge are running around $10k. Thanks Tuney! Huge help!!

7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

im about 10 miles from vander haag's, they are good people to deal with.

8. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Great thanks! Was hoping someone local to them would chime in.

9. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Probably looking at about 40-507 hours to pull the old one swap what you need to and then install the new one.

10. ALCLAND1

ALCLAND1 Junior Member

You can try Arter Trovei in Port Jerves NY. I have had very good luck with them over the years. THey are pobobly 11/2 or 2 hours from north jersey. Many engine swaps ran me 2k to 3k plus parts.
    www.trovei.com/