1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat heater/cooling fan ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by nick858, Nov 21, 2010.

1. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have a 2005 Cat 226. It has factory cab and heat, but the heat is mediocre at best. The hydraulic cooling fan runs all the time, should it? The blower motor works fine, and when its been working you can catch a little bit of heat off the heater, but its only 30 degrees out now. I was hoping for a little better when its 0 degrees!

Any ideas?

2. Maxamillion67

Maxamillion67 Member

Your cooling fan probably will not run all the time. I have a 2002 242 Cat, I installed a factory cat heater in it this year. I put a thermometer in the vent and got 110 degree air coming out with the outside temp being about 45 degrees. When I ran it in cooler weather about 25 degrees it would not heat up, I ended up changing out the thermostat and when I test ran it the air coming out of the vents was 140 degrees. I ran it to remove snow tonight, the outside air temp was about 8 degrees, and the heater worked great. So you may have a bad thermostat. Check your temperature at the vent before and after you should get a big difference in them if the thermostat is the problem.

3. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks Max, Ill try a thermostat first. I was just surprised to see the cooling fan running even right on cold start up. This is my first skid steer, Ive worked on cars for 15 years, but never a skid, especially with hydraulic driven components.