1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cat back system for 02

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by newbowtie, Jun 2, 2002.

1. newbowtie

newbowtie Junior Member
    from usa

Looking for some advice on a cat back sytem for a 02 4x4 std cab, short bed. Looked at Gibson, but their application guide says that the spare has to come off, which will not do. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas. Trying to get the look and feel of duals, but with a "weekend warrior" skill level.
  2. Mac

Mac Member

What Engine?
    4x4 or 2wd?
    Where do you want the pipes? (out the back or out the side)
  3. newbowtie

newbowtie Junior Member
    from usa

It is a 5.3, 4x4 standard cab. Pipes out the back is preferred but out the side would be better than a single. Thanks for the reply.
  4. Mac

Mac Member

Sorry I'm no help I thought it might have been a 6.0L they are really easy to do. The 5.3 is hard because of the merger between the driver side cat and the passenger cat.

My only suggestion is to get a single in/dual out muffler and run two tail pipes out the side, it will sound better. A good exaust guy sould be able to do it for cheap.

I have a 2000 454 done for 200 cnd cash thats with two muffer and two custom bent tail pipes out of satinless steel, they went out the back, however they were close to the spare.

Take it to a exhaust guy a talk it over, they always have some little trick.

Just my two cents.
  5. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I had magnaflow system put on my 01 w/ a 5.3. The shop was able to bend it around the spare tire. There's only about an inch of clearance but it doesn't hurt the spare. The system cost me about $250. Sure does sound good!
  6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i have asked the same question to my exhaust guy and the reason i got was that if u go out the back of the the heat will dry rot the tires