1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat and Case?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Daryl1, May 7, 2005.

1. Daryl1

Daryl1 Junior Member

Can anyone tell me the diference between a Cat 416C and a Cat 416C XL? Also on the Case side a 580 Super C and a Super C Series 2? What year in the brands did the start coming with ride control? Pro's or con's to these models?

2. js580sl

js580sl Junior Member

Hello,
    I dont believe there is a 416C XL. I have seen that on machine sales sites but i believe it is just an error. Theres the 416C 416C IT and then it goes to the next size up the 426.
    Case started producing ride control machines on the L series which started coming out in 1995. I have a 2000 580SL and its been a great machine. I do not have ride control but I have buddies who do. After runnin a machine with ride control you will never wanna go back.
    Jim

3. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Daryl, I dont know of any cat XL model either. Maybe they meant IT which is a tool carrier option, so you can remove bucket and put on attachtments. Both machines are good . The 580c is older than the 416c , the 580c is in the 80's. I happen to have a '05 case 580M with a 11' p/a plow that works fine for plowing snow.

4. js580sl

js580sl Junior Member

Dug, How do you like your 05'? A friend of mine just bought one. I ran his for a while and the smaller 580Mturbo. I thought the 580M was to small and light for pushing. I thought they were extremely smooth and had the best pilot control set up yet. my super L has only 3127 hours on it so we are not ready to trade it yet but I like the M's.
    Jim

5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Js - The M is nice , but my L was alot nicer believe it or not. I Bought the L in '96 and traded it this year for the M. The M seems to be numb but it only has 200hrs on it so far. The one and only thing i can see that is better , is the window latches. You can open them just a crack if you want to , unlike the L it was all open or shut. The M only has one door to get in and out. And the switches are all over the cab , one of the light switches is on the dash the high beam is on turn signal and the back lights are in the back of the machine. On the L all the light switches were in a row on the instrument panel , i liked that. I find it heavy enough to plow with but i only have a 11' plow on it. I plow commmercial lots from 5000square feet to wal-marts and have had good luck with case they have never let me down. Doug

6. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

I guess I'm glad I kept my Super L

Doug - do you have a quick disconnect with the Plow? If so have you had any trouble with the two way locking piston? I have a new Super M, wide track with the QD and was looking for feedback on a plow. What do you have for a plow setup?

By the way, I know what you mean by numb, but I will say that ours is starting to break in - just over 300 hours, and it really is proving itself to have great power over the L series. I kept the Super L instead of trading it in. That machine is like an old shoe - it fits just right. Last week I put a new seat in it, and as far as we're concerned it is a new machine!!! (5500 hours). Only thing is the new one has a nice stereo in it.

Daryl - Sorry I don't know about the Cat backhoes, but the C series is a pretty old Case. I think at least with the L series, super meant turbo. You should be able to get a decent L series for ok money or even a decent Super K would be a good machine. I have a bunch of Case machines and a great local dealer - I too have had good luck with Case.

7. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

8. js580sl

js580sl Junior Member

Yes I love our Super L, just wish it had more pushing power. Ive been very fortunate to be 17 and run many many machines. Out of Cat Case JD JCB komatsu Ford New Holland run them all. Case and Deere are top two hands down.I would take my L over anything because Ive spent more time on that machine than any excavater dozer loader etc. Controls very responsive, very maneuverable, plenty of digging power and speed/breakout. the over center boom design makes for a comfortable ride.
    I do wish the controls for the backhoe were designed a bit better. Im a tall person and the controls are like chopsticks, short and always hittin my legs.I run mine with 2stick JD controls while our excavaters all have cat controls. couldnt switch the two if I tried.
    I also dont like the split windows. Its some what irratating although I believe it helps to keep the noise out.
    Word of the wise, older JD backhoes at night drive me crazy, with the curved windshield the reflection is always there.
    thanks for lettin me give an opinion.
    Jim