1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat 988 pushing snow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Bigfoot Brent, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Our shop in the slag pit getting plowed out on Jan. 11/2011. With the drifting it was hard to tell the accumulation but some drifts were 2' deep.
    This loader fills our transport trucks (40+ tonne payload) with just 2 or 3 buckets.

Brent 037.jpg

Brent 041.jpg

2. thewizard

thewizard Member

It has its own set of stairs. that thing is bad a$$ :salute:

3. Winfrey

Winfrey Junior Member

that looks like a huge fire extinguisher!!!

4. speedy

speedy Senior Member

I think that is the cartridge for the auto-greaser, the fire extinguisher is covered with the safety orange material. (I think)

5. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

The elevator is an option! (seriously, it is :eek:)

6. Aimfor1337

Aimfor1337 Junior Member

That's real nice. How much would one of those run someone looking into it? 200k?

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you need to slide your decimal one place to the left.

Tires alone are pushing 50K

8. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

What he said. A clean used 988H might be in the neighborhood of $800k - $1M, maybe a little more depending on options.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Actually, I meant one to the right :laughing:

10. needmoresnow

needmoresnow Member

here is a nice cheap used one lol

CAT-988F-4686LG.jpg

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

come on tell the truth does that even feel the 2 ft drifts ? :laughing:

12. Bigfoot Brent

Too be honest it was just above idle, and no the 2' didn't phase it!. It was the only piece of equipment on site we had to push with:D.

13. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Wow. That machine is really a piece or work! Can you get any photos of the cab and looking outward?

14. Bigfoot Brent

No, unfortunately I won't be able to get pictures from inside the cab as the loader is owned by my employers customer and with all the health+safety and union crap this is about as close as I can get to it. From what I've seen though it doesn't seem to have a steering wheel, just joysticks.

15. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Damn. I would love to drive one, even for 15 min.

16. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Nice pictures....The red cylinder on the landing is a dry chemical or CO2 fire suppression tank. The engine compartment has its own fire suppression nozzles that trip in the event of a fire. The orange cover has a handheld fire extinguisher under it also.

Here is a brochure from CAT........http://xml.catmms.com/servlet/ImageServlet?imageId=C609127

And a picture of the cab

Caterpillar-988H,1440234_6.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  17. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

that thing is a beast!!! makes our 924G Cat look like a toy!

18. TremblaySNOW

TremblaySNOW Senior Member

That's one impresive machine LOL

19. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

what is the advantage to joystick controls over a steering wheel in a machine like this?

20. speedy

speedy Senior Member

12 busy hours in a quarry is pretty damn tiring, it's a lot easier with the joystick, and it's actually quite easy to get the hang of. One thing's for certain, you WILL put the seatbelt on, there's nothing else to brace against.

988's are a great machine, but you want to leave them in one place once you get it there, hauling them costs a horrendous amount of money!!