1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

CAT 928Hz or Hyundai 757-9

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NFDDJS, Nov 18, 2011.

1. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

So I am renting a Hyundai 757-9 this winter and can buy it in April when I turn it in but I was talking to my CAT rep today and he was showing me numbers on some new CAT 928Hz loaders that will have around 200 hours on them in April that I can buy for about the same money as the Hyundai 757-9. I know the CAT is a little smaller then the Hyundai, around 4000lbs lighter and 20 less HP. So I have some questions for all of you...

1) How do you all like the CAT 928 or 930? (930 is the same just a different boom)

2) What size pushers have you been putting on these machines?
    (we are running a 16ft pro tech rubber loader pusher on the 757-9)

3) Any known problems with these?

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have never ran a 928 in the snow but have spent 100+ hours in one in the dirt. I think they are a great machine.
    It will prob be another year but when I pull the trigger on a loader it will be a 928. For the same money I wouldn't think twice.... buy the cat. I plowed on the same lot as a guy with a 928 two years ago and it pushed a 14ft box like nothing.
    Robert

3. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

My only problem is that the 757-9 is a bigger loader. The 757-9 is about the same size as the CAT 938H. I have looked at the CAT 938 and they want $184,000 and and I would really like to stay under $150,000
    The 757-9 will cost me about $138,000 and the CAT 928hz will cost me around $151,000 and is smaller then the 757-9 but would I be better off with the CAT? American made (for the most part) getting parts is not a problems and they have been around along time...

4. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

A 16ft box will be all the 928 will want.

5. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

Is that what you are running? What problems are you seeing?

6. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

No I am not running that particular combination but I have had alot of wheel loaders and alot of boxes and that size loader will have all it wants to push that box. You wont run out of power but you will spin out when box is full unless snow is light and fluffy. Weight is what pushes snow.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My uncle has a 928G and it's a great machine. Like others have said, I think a 16' pusher would be a little much for it. But, I have never used a loader with a pusher.

8. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

I would go back to your cat salesman and tell him that Hyundai is putting your rental against the purchase of the Hyundai and so that makes it harder to do the deal. See if he will come back with a corresponding rental incentive. Buy the Cat and if you need service it will be a bit more but it will be there. Up here in Ontario CANADA we have one Hyundai dealer left. I’m not saying your dealer is not good at servicing his Hyundai product but they just aren’t as strong as a main line brand. Oh and guess what happens when you what to trade or sell that Hyundai? That’s right you will take a bit of a bath so there goes your initial savings.” BUY MAINLINE BRAND AND BEAT THEM UP HARD ON PRICE” this I think is a stronger strategy. What you guys think am I right or wrong let me hear it! tymusic

9. Joe Blade

Joe Blade Member

pusher size

Cat 928 16 thats it
    Hyundia 757 16-18
    keep in mind that machines weighing 26000lbs to 29000lbs push 16 full at max and your 757 at say 33000lbs will have all it can handle at 18. if you do a lot of wet pushes keep it at 16

10. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If you are only using the loader for snow, the total number of hours isn't going to be that much. In that case, I'd buy the one you find most ergonomic for the operator. While everyone touts the resale value of Cat, it's usually relative. Maybe you'll save $20K up front buying a Hyundia and it's worth $20k less on the back end then you didn't really have a net loss compared to Cat. You saved the additional money upfront buying a Cat.