1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat 924 H loader vs. John Deere 7330 Tractor

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by firehog13, Aug 12, 2011.

1. firehog13

firehog13 Member

Hey guys don't know about you but I'm gearing up for snow season and I have one hell of a debate on my mind. 2011/12 Cat 924H Loader or 2011/12 John Deere 7330 Tractor for a huge 41 acre property that I just one. Now not all 41 acres is asphalt and most of it is building but never the less its big. I plan on putting a Horst 5200 snowing on which ever piece I decide because i have a 4200 snowing for my Cat 420e it backhoe and a 3200 snowing for my Takeuchi tl 140. This Region yard is a waste transfer facility and 500 hundred plus trucks coming in and out 7 days a week. I want to here from all the guys who have experience with these two pieces of equipment and tell me which one you think can push more and do a quicker job and why. I've seen videos of Farmer 4x4 on you tube with his cat loaders and I have also seen videos of JD Dave in his John deere with an ebling back blade and they are both very impressive. Thanks to all who take the time to reply cheerstymusic

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Do you have off season work for one of the units? Thats would be my deciding factor, I just bought a 906H and couldnt be happier with it! Glad I didnt get a 6430 JMO
  3. firehog13

firehog13 Member

I don't have work for it yet but I'm pretty resourceful when it comes to finding work. I have lots of farmers near my house but I also have lots of construction companies and quarries that might possibly lease off me for the summer months?

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

The loader will push more and turn better with a box full of snow aslo the loader has the ability to load snow or relocate snow better. The tractor has better wheel speed and a better transmission. Whichever one you can find work for in the other seasons would probably be your best bet.
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Like others have said, you should get what can get you work in the Summer. With that said I personaly think for the Winter you are better off with the loader. With the loader you can use the bucket to push banks back and load snow into dump truck. The tractor you can only push snow with it.
  6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

After looking at the site, I would go with the tractor. You have some very long pushes, that the tractor will be able to do faster. I would get a semi industrial snow blower with a side discharge. You are going to be able to windrow large parts of that site, and after you can blow that snow 100 feet into the fields, leaving no piles to worry about later in the season. Either machine will do the job well, IMO the tractor will do it a little faster with a nicer end result having no piles. That's a very long road leading to the scales, if you windrow it and then blow it away, you remove the chances of larger drifts when it gets windy. Looks like wind will play a part in this site, lots of open spaces. Keep us informed, and takes some pics this season. :drinkup:
  7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

8. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I currently quote a similar property with 12 acre pavement and 400m pushes.
    Same question....7430 or loader.....most places like that you see done by loaders.
    One of our affiliates even said he can't push 400m with a 821 Case.
  9. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Neige, tractor seems like it would work perfectly, and if you wanted you could get a loader on it with a snow bucket for loading trucks.
  10. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Trust me get a blower with a telescopic chute and you will rarely use a bucket again.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I find it funny how some people respond that have never used both. Personally I'd go with the loader if cost isn't an issue but for the same money as the loader you could buy 2 6430's so that would be my choice.
  12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

If you do choose the 924H, just make sure you are getting a USA built machine and not one from Japan. The loaders that Cat manufacture in Japan are less quality than the USA machines.
  13. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

My vote is for the loader, More manuverable, turns in tighter places, and generally built heavier/stronger.

I know this isn't what the OP asked about, but if you aren't sure you have work for it in the off season, why not buy 2 used loaders. Well probably be half the price of one new one and allows for you to have some money if any repairs need to be done. I just wonder at the need for a brand new loader to push snow, I mean you are not likely using the machine near its capacity.
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure if the 924's your looking at are the ones from Erin or not but if they're I'd be a little concerned about who is going to service them if you had a breakdown. I'm sure you know they came from Arctic Snow and Ice. They sure look like nice loaders sitting there. Premier Equipment has 24 hour emergency snow repair service and there service trucks are very well equipped. Just something else for you to think about. How many actual acres of pavement are you plowing?
  15. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Bid that place back in 2009. Figured 2 tractors as well and when you are almost done, the 2nd one can scoot over to peel other yards in the area and push them open quickly.

They allowing you to keep equipment on site? They want nothing on site no responsibility.
  16. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

whats the acreage on pavement? 10?
  17. firehog13

firehog13 Member

Thanks for all the replies guys really means a lot to me.... To answer some questions, the actual ashpalt I think is about 20-25 acres. Yes you can leave equipment on site. Another factor is that there are 3 cat 924H loaders on site moving garbage all day and the guys already said they would push back piles or relocate snow for me if need be which could technally eliminate the need for a loaders function. But I also like the idea of a loader because of it's weight which is about 25000 lbs vs. a tractor which I think is any were from 14,000 lbs to 16,000 for long pushes. The loader seems more rugged and tough IMO as far as internal moving parts which could possibly take more of a beating over the years from all those hard winters night. This is not to say a tractor is a push over by any means and that loaders can't have problems like any other piece of equipment. Another reason im looking for new over used is for warranty and i'll be the one who breaks it in and treats it the way I like to look after my equipment and thats with respect and preventitive maintance. I'm also thinking of using my 2008 Takeuchi TL 140 with my horst snow wing and puting a set of Bridgestone Polar ice tracks on it for better traction.
    I resently went to Toromont Caterpillar and tested a 2009 cat 924H loader with 1200 hrs on it that had come from London that Clintar had previsly used. It had rust and salt stains all over the conections fittings engine and steps.... this things looked like she been driven har and put away wet. They where asking $102,000 which I think reflects the price, but that gets me thinking at who used it before and how good or badly they treated the thing before me? Caterpillar told me that all the servicing had been done by them on a scehedualed maintainance program since it was new. So am I just stuck on cosmetic looks or do I have a valid reason to try and either look for another one that has not been used for snow and salt for maybe more money or get new with now worries>??????? I also payed Premier Equipment in Alliston Ontario a visit and took out a 2011 John Deere 7330 and was very impressed by the visibility and the IVT Transmission and I have nothing bad to say with this fine piece of machinery. JD Dave I would love to here so snow war storys of your JD tractor and any pros or cons over the years
    using it. Thanks again to all who reply... This site rocks
  18. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

I say you are way off with 20-25 acres....I quoted the place a couple years ago for summer work....
  19. firehog13

firehog13 Member

Well, do tell how many acres of ashpalt do think?
  20. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

I think either or will make the pushes required. They are both large and heavy enough (on their respective footprints) to take a full blade down the run in most storms. Totally depending on how long you are willing to wait to see a return on your investment, I would consider the auctions if you go the loader route. There are so many that go through at low prices you could buy one and have it gone over at toromont and be far ahead of the game. Neither will be a bad decision and I think that neiges plan with a fairly hefty blower will give a nice clean finish. I've run PTO blowers on the 7 series deere and its very impressive and cost effective. The pup diesel blowers that front mount on the loader are wild but expensive. If you don't already have summer work lined up, you need to make the decision as if there is none. Whichever you deem is the cheapest way (factoring in life expectancy, purchase price, time required etc...) is the way to go. Whatever summer work comes along with what you choose is a bonus.