1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat 906 Wheel Loader

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ff610, Jul 17, 2010.

1. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to heavy equipment. I've run some skid loaders quite a bit, but after seeing the success with wheel loaders I decided to buy one. I bought a Cat 906. Has anyone used one? I was gonna buy a 12' sectional, but I didn't know if I could go bigger or if I should go smaller. Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

my own opinion on this, is a 12ft sectional is all you want to put on that thing, it isn't about power, but weight, that 908 doesn't weigh very much compared to a case 621 or a Cat 920, you are going to get a larger box half full the start to spin out JMO (besides driving down the road with something larger then a 12footer is a PITA)
  3. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. It's tough enough to get around with a 12' anyways. Thanks for the input.
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A 906 weighs around 10-11k so a 12 ft will be good in most situations. I'd go with an LD version as I don't think you'll be able to push an HD.
  5. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Yep definitely a LD. Glad I could accept your award in Rhode Island. Hopefully meet you next year!
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I was very disappointed I couldn't make it. I've been the last 2 years but because of the rain we had so much farm work to catch up on I had to make the decision to stay.
  7. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Add some ballast (Calcium Chloride, RV Antifreeze or W/W fluid to the tires) to get a little more traction. It kills travel speed a bit, but the added production on-site should make up for it.

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I agree with everyones opinions 12 ft max. and weight will be key, anyway to add a ton or two would help. Good luck
  9. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

A 12' LD would be perfect on the 908. Some out there have run a 14' LD, but I would stay with the 12' LD
  10. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I know a guy with a older cat 910, He runs a tall and very deep 10ft pusher and it does pretty well, When it is full he does have some traction issues though. I agree add some weight for your 12ft and you should be ok.
  11. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

So what is the best ballast to add? Any idea on cost? Never heard of this but thats expected, like I said never ran much of my own equipment. Thanks for the info guys!
  12. Bigdog4342

Bigdog4342 Junior Member

I'm looking for a wheel loader for winter piece of mind (906h2). Wondering if you guys have ideas how to pay for this in off season. We are a small design build and use skid steers .