1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat 906 vs Cat 924

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by gotsnow2, Jun 9, 2014.

1. gotsnow2

gotsnow2 Junior Member
    from 61301

I looking to put a 12 foot arctic Ld pusher box. Most of the pushes will be 75 yards long. Price difference to rent is 800 more per month on the 924. How much more can the 924 handle and is it worth the money? Also how much more fuel will it use?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

A 924 will kill a LD sectional. That needs the HD model. Hard to compare large loader to mini loader.

3. gotsnow2

gotsnow2 Junior Member
    from 61301

What the difference in fuel usage? Is the big loader worth the money? Can I move that much more snow

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That's kinda like asking what a 36" walk behind will do compared to a 60" Z.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Are you using it for parking lots or open roads?

6. gotsnow2

gotsnow2 Junior Member
    from 61301

Parking lot

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

You'll be surprised by the 906, It's soo much more nimble and fast, plus it'll push a 12' pusher no problem

8. gotsnow2

gotsnow2 Junior Member
    from 61301

This parking lot everything needs to be pushed out past the curb line. That makes for a 75 yard push every time. Last season the guy used a 2.5 yard loader a skid steer and a single axle dump truck with about a 10 foot plow. With all 3 it took them 10 hours. I'm just wondering if I'm over dreaming thinking 3 906 machines can handle it.

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Pretty standard on most parking lots.

10. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

How many acres is the lot? Who cares about the last guy

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Sounds like the last guy was inefficient

I would go with 906 due to maneuverability. How big is the property post an earth shot of it

12. gotsnow2

gotsnow2 Junior Member
    from 61301

the parking lot is 30 acres

13. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You're right, you're dreaming. That is unless you don't get any real snow.

All of your runs are only 225' long? Must be a weird looking property. It'll have to be well over a mile long to equal 30 acres.

14. gotsnow2

gotsnow2 Junior Member
    from 61301

It's is a half mile on each side

15. gotsnow2

gotsnow2 Junior Member
    from 61301

I'm also looking for opinions on snow pusher brands?

16. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I hate to be that guy, but are you sure you're ready for a 30acre site? Limited wheel loader knowledge and limiter pusher knowledge are kind of red flags that you are a bit green. A 30 acre site isn't really the way to get your feet wet.

17. gotsnow2

gotsnow2 Junior Member
    from 61301

I run a wheel loader for a living but a 980. All the guys on the site will be operators. I just don't normally run that small of a loader but I see guys use them all the time. I have used a pusher box but an off brand. I'm confident we can get the job done I just don't wanna use a bigger loader than needed.

18. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Post a google earth shot of it

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you run a 980 you should know what a 924 will do vs a 906.

I don't run any of them and know what they will do.

20. CaptCaveman

CaptCaveman Member

The statement of " but I see guys use them all the time" sums it up. I am sure you can do it too...But I would suggest something a little smaller until you know the efficiency of you company and the guys you use...how reliable they are going to be. If you run a 980 all day...I am assuming you don't have any equipment of your own? Renting everything is not really a great idea...unless you have a strong business plan. Think about how much money you are going to make if all goes well...and see if you can make that with one truck and doing some cash driveways.
    Just my two cents worth