1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat 257D Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by classiclawncare, Nov 21, 2013.

1. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

Im lookingat buying a new Cat 257D track loader. Any imput, reviews? pros cons/ I currently have a 242B wheel loader and want a track machine

2. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

We just rented a 277D to finish a landscape job of a very soft ground site. My guys loved it. It has the same undercarriage as the old ASV. Not as heavy duty as CAT's compact track loaders but can handle muddier ground and does a hell of a job with snow from what I have read. If you go with the CTL will need to switch tracks for snow removal purposes.

3. classiclawncare

so for this 257D I would have to switch tracks to plow snow?

Or If I I go for the 259D ctl metal tracks Id need to switch for snow?

Also why is that?

4. vtscaper

vtscaper Junior Member
    from VT

we have a 257 b and 287 and love them both! the oem tracks are fine for snow just not steep inclines

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The 7 series machines are fine in snow. The suspension undercarriage along with the track pattern work well.

The 9 series along with all other ctl's (except ASV) need different tracks to push snow. Most, if not all come with the block pattern tracks. To much surface area on the ground per tread block.

Also metal tracks would be terrible on pavement and concrete. Not only for surface damage (cuts, scrapes, grooves, etc) there will be zero traction. You probably would go crazy from the noise and the rough ride as well.

6. classiclawncare

ok good to know that ill be ok with a 257d for plowing. We dont get much snow but when we do we need to be able to work the machine hard and for days at a time

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Aside from snow what is your primary use for the machine?

Those ASV undercarriages are not cheap to rebuild. If you want a track machine just because my opinion is your looking at the wrong machine unless you have deep pockets.

8. classiclawncare

I will only be putting about 75-100 hrs per year on the machine tops. I dont use it a ton but when I need it, I need it you know. So I assume as long as I keep it clean and inside my shop it should last as is for 10 years or more, what do you think?

I use it for landscaping, moving pallets and material around my shop, grading and snow when we get it.

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Figure on replacing something in the undercarriage about every 200 hours or so. They're high maintainence but I wouldn't trade my 267 for much else. Own tracks push snow just fine in the hands of a capable operator. Keep it out of the salt as much as possible too.

10. classiclawncare

So a cat 259 Ctl is not good at all for plowing?

11. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son Junior Member

Tracks most certainly matter... I have a lot of experience doing removal with Bobcat track machines and the HAVE to have to right kind of tracks.... OEM rubber tracks SUCK!!!! Doesn't matter if it's an incline or not, once the track slides just once, ICE!!!!! I have learned that there are multiple types of rubber tracks, some made specifically for snow... This makes all the difference....

12. Biglen

Biglen Junior Member

My 1st Cat was a 2006 257. I had 1500 hrs on it when I sold it and the tracks had approx. 500 hrs left on them. Then I got a 2011 257 B3 and replaced the tracks at 1100 hrs. due to the crushed limestone I was working in cut up the tracks a lot more. Some of the idlers had chunks out of them but still useable. That being said, I'm an owner operator, I would wash out the track system frequently and watch for rocks getting lodged between the idlers etc... The 7 series tracks have way more traction on snow and even mud than the 9 series. If your landscaping or doing snow removal the 7 series tracks are the way to go, they do NOT cut up the lawn like the block tracks on all the others (except ASV). I just bought a 257D and only have 25 hrs on it.....the jury's still out on this one!

13. classiclawncare

Biglen-

I ended up going with a 259D. I have put about 75 hrs on it so far this winter. Most of them have been snow plowing. This machine is great and actually my worker that runs it says it has great traction plowing snow. I went with the CTL over the MTL b/c its more heavy duty, and from what the people i talked to said itll have less problems down the road and last longer. We do a mixture of construction, snow, landscape and working at my shop yard with it so the CTL was the best fit. The local Cat dealer manager asked me how much more the CTL was then the MTL I told him they were the same price he said dont even think about the MTL they have a lot more problems.

I did like the MTL like you said it tears up less, but I felt it wouldnt hold up well for our use.

How much did you pay for yours? and what options does it have.

14. Biglen

Biglen Junior Member

The MTL costs about $2k more than the CTL here in Canada. The cash price for the MTL is between 60-65k depending on the exchange rate on the dollar. If you got the snow tracks for your CTL it would be better all around except for the ride of the MTL. If you have employees driving the machine the CTL is a better choice. I told them.....fill your boots boys, this is the bosses machine! lol Mine is loaded except high flow.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  15. classiclawncare

Nice! all the options thats the way to go. And they are more up your way, I paid 48k for mine enclosed cab and radio tax and extended warranty included.

16. mike ward

mike ward Member

We have a 257 and just bought another. The tracks should be good for 1500-2000 hours depending on the use. They work well in the snow but not as good as a wheeled machine. The 259 UC is much heavier and better for construction and demo but is too slow for snow @8mph while the 257 and around 10 mph and the 242 is faster yet at 11-12mpn. This is for the 2 sp machines.

17. classiclawncare

I myself have used my new 259d and my worker has used it more this season, about 65 hrs for him and 5-10 for me and In my opinion this Winter my ctl track machine does a lot better than my 242B ever did and my worker def says this machine is a lot better than my 242B ever was. He uses a 8' snow pusher box and a 10' snow bucket. All of our lots are open lots like lowes home depot and on flat ground as well. The last 4 years he plowed with my 242B so he has had plenty of time in both. im not sure why everyone says the wheeled machines are better? We have had zero traction problems and weve plowed in all conditions. Heavy wet snow, ice under snow, dry powder snow, thick thick snow, ect and nothing has given us any problems.

18. mike ward

mike ward Member

The 259 is still a 8mph machine vs a 242 which is a 11-12 mph machine...huge productivity differences for us. We are pushing a 12 artic boxes a cat 242, cat 247, cat 906. they all work great but keep in mind we don't plow more than 2-4" of snow at any one push.

19. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

Got a quote of about 66k for a 257D in Ottawa. Seem reasonable? Fairly loaded machine with the options most would want.

20. classiclawncare

Wow I dont know pricing in Canada but that seems high. I paid 48k for a 259D with enclosed cab, heat a/c, extended warranty and bucket.