1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cat 242c Skid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PrecisionS&I, Nov 6, 2013.

1. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

I'm getting a 242c skid single speed for this winter. (I know Single Speed :eek: Looking for any advice on pusher size 8' Boss Bx8 or 10' Boss Bx10? Pushes no more than 300 feet.

Thank you.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

We have 10' on ours. And I don't see what the big deal about 2 speed is ?

3. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

diesels what kind of pusher are you running, and are you running snow tires or regular skid steer tires?

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

It's a bigger deal if you need to make longer pushes. 300' is a fairly long push. The amount and weight of the snow being pushed is also a determaining factor. The 2 speed gives you more momentum to start the push and would allow you to finish the job sooner. That machine is pretty strong so I would say a 10'er would work ok, depending on tire traction, you can always take smaller cuts if you need to. Don't let the snow get too deep before your first push.

5. WIPensFan

EDIT:

I looked up 262c which has 85 HP. My bad...I wouldn't put a 10'er on your 242c...I would go with a 8'.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I just looked at ours. Sorry that machine gets an 8 and the other one in the sane lot is a different machine and that one gets the 10. Sorry. Sometimes had to remember all the pushers and machines and lots.

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

That machine would be fine with a 10fter, if your running dedicated snow tires....8fter if running the reg lug tires.

IIRC, that is "about" a 7000lb machine w/ around 70hp......

8. WIPensFan

I thought it has 58 HP?

9. PrecisionS&I

PrecisionS&I Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the input, pushers on skids are new for me just don't know how to size them, plus I don't trust the charts that the pusher manufactures put out. Boss says for a 70hp machine a 10' works. I thought it seemed a little over.

10. classiclawncare

classiclawncare Senior Member

I have a 242B Cat and I use a 8' pusher and I wouldnt want to go any bigger myself. The machine pushes the 8" great on a few inches but as the snow depth goes up i feel it more and more.

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Just looked. 242"B" is 58hp....242 is 54hp. I cant find a 242"c"??????

I was thinking of the 246c model, which is one of our winter skids we use. its a shade over 70hp & 7000lbs.

Either way, I still think he'd be fine with a 10fter, if he runs dedicated snows...we've been doing it with similar sized machines for a few yrs. Otherwise stick with the 8fter.

BTW, hp is of no real worry in this scenario...50 - 70hp is PLENTY of motor to push a 10fter....its the weight and traction that is of concern.

12. WIPensFan

Agreed, but more HP usually coincides with more weight. BTW...I never did find a 242c in my searches either.

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

14. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

For that machine go with an Arctic sectional. We used a Cat 236 two speed with one[10 ft] on a 10 inch storm. Pushed very well. Youll be extremely happy with it.

15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

A 10ft pusher, with a 10in storm on a 236?... Your pushes must have only been 10 feet!