1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Casting liquid with salt spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by navyman, Oct 25, 2015.

1. navyman

navyman Member

I am always thinking outside the box...Why wouldn't this work? gravity feed the brine solution to the spinner with a line and let it rip. I always noted how my push fert. spreader threw water when I rinsed it off.

2. navyman

navyman Member

Could use most any tailgate spreader.

3. navyman

navyman Member

No Takers?

4. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

I would think it would work but you would have to figure out how to regulate it and how to turn it on and off.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why?

You might want to move back into the box.

6. navyman

navyman Member

"Why" You ask? you obviously don't follow the liquid section of this site. We will start there first. Many are saying they would like to have an all in one unit, something to wet and something to rock. Now as far as me "moving back into the box" sounds like you are from GrandRapids.

7. navyman

navyman Member

Huhhh, see the "Meier Crossfire", they are doing it but with a little more sophistication, but we could easily pump 3 gpm of brine to our spinners and accomplish the same thing very cheaply.... probably a good question for "Kubota".

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Because if it was a viable option, someone would have tried already.

No control over placement of the product--this is already difficult with granular products and a push spreader.

Too much of the product going backwards\hitting the applicator. Have you ever seen how dusty an applicator gets?

Poor distribution.

Wind causing drifting of product.

No control over droplet size to accommodate different weather conditions.

Would you like me to go on?

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a pre-wet system for the salt, haven't the wheel been played already?

As far as applying directly to spinner without rock. I would think between the truck moving and it being slong, it would be a fine uneven mist and puddling when stopped. I don't know, just guessing from Chicago.

10. navyman

navyman Member

I am sure you had more to say "Einstein"( he is your mentor?), why didn't you? lol