1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cash and Carry?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jeep_thing, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Senior Member

There are literally hundreds of threads and posts on-

Waiting on a check
    Discrepancy of (verbally) quoted price (after job is done)
    Money owed but still wants plowing
    Blah blah blah

Question- do any of you smaller guys stick to a COD (cash on delivery) policy, pay per push, or at most collect weekly? Or have customer either meet you outside for payment at time of plow or leave payment in a safe place?

2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I have a few that do this, but it's mostly a hassle seeing as I come through in the middle of the night, so they aren't awake and then they want me to come get the money before the next storm... I prefer either billing every 15 or 30 days depending on customer or my preference

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes your dealing with property company's that aren't even in the area

4. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Senior Member

Sorry, I neglected to state- small potatoes, friends and neighbors, residential only. Just getting started.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Your gunna have that issue no matter what. People don't wanna pay everywhere

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I make money when my truck is plowing, I dont make $ when Im waiting for the customer to come to the door to go find his checkbook (that he forgot) to write the check to chit-chat (so I dont appear to be rude to a paying customer). I bill monthly or up front for the year.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can lose more money waiting to collect a couple of bucks in the driveway. If your plowing then plow, good people will pay ,bad ones won't

8. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Senior Member

True, very true.

9. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

If you do enough work you get a tolerance for people owning you money,write it down and keep track of it. A friend who owns property once told me me be ruthless in collecting your cash people always have a reason to hold on to it. If they offer it up front take it the majority of my customers pay up front for seasonal as you take on more work you will figure out a billing system that works for you.

10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I am out $85.00 for the past season from one customer.. I will not be back to do them. I would be out a whole lot more if I waited and waited by collecting in the driveway. What Grandview and others have said is what you should go by.

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

rebill them!:realmad:

12. thelettuceman

GV >>> I did. They can take the $85.00 and put it where the sun don't shine !!!

13. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I imagine the the end of the driveway might have a little extra snow in it 1st storm next season.

14. Jeep_thing

Jeep_thing Senior Member

Thank you both for showing me the other side of it

15. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

I think it really depends on the scale that you operate on. I have a full time accountant and she knows that we collect every dollar that we bill. She is salary so she's getting paid regardless. We pursue every unpaid invoice, no matter how small. I have been to court for less than $85.

I have a reputation in my trade and because of that I rarely get jerked around on payment. The guys that do jerk me around don't do it more than once. If you have the means to pursue them, I would say bill the clients net 15 or 30 or whatever and when things slow down in spring you have all summer to collect on the deadbeats.

16. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

If only it was $85.00, I have had some far more expense lessons, Learn well the first time.

17. thelettuceman

I'll do better than that ... I will make sure that the ex customer sees me telling the new guy about non-payment.:realmad:

18. We don't do any work without a credit card on file. In the event that a client wants our services that we bump into on the road we have mobile credit card machines in the trucks. We accept all major credit cards and debit right there from behind the steering wheel.

988847_223507737848807_94313907_n.jpg

19. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

we use the square POS system in our retail store and all of my techs use it in the field works great and i get emails every time the cash register opens or a card gets swiped in the field.

20. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Each of those methods have a cost component x percent of sale, is it justified for your operation only you can decide that. Some how I don't think some one from the shopping mall is going to come out and swipe at 3 a.m.