1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Case Tractor Loader.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Grassman09, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Anyone know what year this thing is from or some sort of model indication? I'm told it has a 3 point hitch and PTO on the back. Looks like a old Ford loader to me. Trying to find HP and weight of the machine.

Case.JPG

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Early 80s looks like a case 580c

3. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Looks like a 480 to me, maybe an E or F? I would say late 80s or early 90s. Looks very similar to our 480F LL. As I recall should be 10-11k for weight and around 60? horse.

4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

The tag should be just inside the cab door to the left. Its going to be a 480 D or E LL (Loader Landscaper). I have a 480F LL and I can tell mine is a little newer.

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Looks like your going backwards dave, what are you thinking buying something so old?

6. Grassman09

Cost to fix my throttle pedal and AC in the Cat would pay for this quick. No need for a backhoe this year either. I didn't even use my Cat for loading salt last winter and I still needed a new pedal and apparently part of the AC system is under the floor and salt water gets into that too. Cat has changed this all now in the D series machines. The bucket pins seize too even greasing it and fluid filming didn't help.

Want it for loading salt. My skid is on a site with a boss 10' box which works great.

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Right on, this would make an awesome salt loader, I'm glad you finally put the skid to good use...

8. Grassman09

550 Hours on the Cat now. Not the site I was hoping it would be on. I was too expensive for the Costco store that was unhappy with the guy they had last season.

Does look like a Case 480 series. Hook up a inverted blower out back and do driveways....

9. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

The pto is kind of a joke in my opinion. To get the rpm where you need it you have to raise the engine rpm obviously. Problem is even in low gear your ground speed is sometimes too fast plus you end up dropping the shuttle into gear at a lot higher rpm than i care for-kind of like revving up your pickup and dropping the trans into drive. Engage the pto at idle and you may not have the power to turn your blower until rpms are up.
    It would work great for loading salt though.

10. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

These are good dependable loaders, we have had 3 of them. A couple things to look for, the brakes can be a little touchy and want to grab and sometimes stick also look at the pto in the 3 we had 1 didn't have a pto, 1 had it and 1 had a smooth shaft with a key way. Also with the pto I believe they are run off the hydraulics.

11. Grassman09

Yea I cant see me using it for a snowblower really. Other then just dead weight. Even then I don't think so. The cylinders leak for the 3 point. If you have a newer Ford diesel they do that. Mine will be in high idle and other then shifting out of park no other way to get it out of high idle. On my dodge and my duramax all you have to do is tap the brake pedal to get it to simmer down. When my GM 5500 is in high idle it sounds like a jet plane on the tarmac revving for take off.

Funny you say that. The brakes were stuck on. 1 side was grabbing. This machine has sat for a bit. The current owner blames the brakes on the last guy who test drove it. Looks like the cab came off another Case machine. Lots of gaps in the front and rear, could be missing some lower glass in the front and back of cab. PTO and 3 point hitch did work. The loader seams to lift pretty fast and you need to feather the controls for it as it gets jerky. something is sucking power when the machine is off he was saying. Install a master switch at the battery would solve that.

Can you still get keys for these machines? Maybe swap out the ignition switch to something I can make key copies of.

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

As far as I know case keys are like cat keys in that they haven't changed in forever.

13. Grassman09

Ok thanks.

14. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Did you buy it new? Even if you bought it used I'd be fuming that I had to fix anything like that with 550 hours on it...

Salt use, snow use, whatever you want to call it it's nuts that they know the equipment is being used for this stuff and they would design anything that could be impacted by salt, especially expensive parts, to where salt water could easily get on it.

15. Grassman09

Yes bought it new. Just within the 1st year they tried to stick me with a bill for 3 k. Bearing and chain and AC system. This particular branch deals with allot of big construction cos. I guess they figured id pay it. Car dealers are just as bad for designing things this way.

16. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I'd have been raising holy hell with them and with Cat directly. That's nuts.