1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Case 580K without backhoe pushing snow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by merrimacmill, Oct 30, 2010.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Well a guy I know is selling his 89' Case 580K tractor loader. It used to have a backhoe on it, but it was removed and a very large counterweight was added, along with wheel weights and filled tires. He claims it will push a 12' pusher no problem, but I was wondering others opinions on it. Its a good machine and I am seriously considering picking it up in the next week or so if it all checks out when my mechanic looks at it.

Would the Case 580K with no backhoe, but a large counterweight (not sure of its actual weight), wheel weights, and filled rear tires, push a pro-tech bucket mount 12' backhoe pusher? The pushes wouldn't be over 400 feet long each and the lots don't accumulate over 3" to 4" of snow.

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

No experience without a hoe, but with it they will. However, they aren't the machine a Cat 420 or 430 is at all...

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

For me, I think it would come down to price. If it checks out and the price is rite, I would jump on it.

J.

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Should have no problem with a 12' pusher, assuming it checks out and runs good. Agreed, right price and have at it.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It will push it. Get rid of the bucket mount and go put a quick tach on it and it will push it alot better.

6. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a 570LXT which I believe is the same size as your 580. Its a skip loader as they call it, no hoe but a loader. The thing I like about it is the three point hitch has down pressure, angles side to side and is not as clumsy as a hoe.

I will post pics soon.

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

What are putting on the front of that 570?

8. DeVries

Haven't decided yet. Maybe an Ebling on the back? The front has a oversize snow bucket.

9. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

It has 3000 hours and I'm pretty sure I could walk away with it for 12K and there is nothing wrong with it at all. What do you guys think of that price? It seems pretty reasonable to me, but then again I've never really followed the used 580K market. There is also a 89' 580K with a hoe for 16K with the same amount of hours on it around here for sale, so it would have to be well under that number for me to jump on it.

10. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Nice. I'm really liking those machines. Did you buy new? Be sure to post some pics.

11. DeVries

I bought it used. Came from the Ottawa area, was set up to clear condo drives and walks. I will post pics tomorrow.

12. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say $10K is a decent price.

13. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

$12k for a 580K is a good price. A good 580D will go for that price so IMO that is a very good price for a K model. From what I've seen $16k is an average price for a K hoe.

14. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Don't forget...it doesn't have the backhoe on it so you can't really compare it to a complete 580K. These are things I think you should consider:
    If you do buy it it won't be much good in the summer without the hoe. How much do you think it would cost to obtain a hoe, or a box blade, and put it on? I would imagine that it may be difficult to sell if it doesn't work out for you (with no rear attachment). IMO it will need some weight added since the hoe is gone. The K series ran for several years. Which year model is it? Obviously age will factor in to the cost too. Does the hour meter work, or if yoy can find out, has it always worked? I would think that $10k should be at the upper end of the scale (just my opinion).
    If thus machine checks out, and it will work for you, than it will be worth buying, for the right price.

15. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

those machines hold there value no lower than $10K but that is with a hoe on it with out it i would look for it to be a little less than $12 in my opinon with no hoe and 3K for hours is not much so you should get alot of years out of it your using it just for snow.

16. Maxamillion67

Maxamillion67 Member

17. DeVries

Not sure why other pics don't show up. Looking forward to putting this one to the test.

DSCN1272.jpg

18. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's nice! I like how it's setup. Looks like it will move a lot of snow.

19. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

I like it...nice clean machine. One of the last true Case 570's...what is it 2004-5?

20. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Thats a pretty cool skip loader. Case makes a really nice backhoe....i bet that has the same quality.