1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Case 580 towing

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Meatplow, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Meatplow

Meatplow Junior Member

Hey all,

I'm looking into acquiring a Case 580 backhoe. Anyone tow any of these? What the suggested vechicle for towing one of these bad boys? I know you can drive them on the street, but if I have to tow it at some point, I want to be prepared. Any help with the truck/trailer would be appreciated.

ATM I only have a Chevrolet 2500 HD and I know that won't do it.

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

You might be able to tow it with a Ford f550 or chevy/gmc 5500. Thats a large machine. Also depends on the weight laws in mass. By the time you get a large trailer you may be way over with a truck that size. My bigger equipment I have a local guy move with a triaxle dump/20 tons trailer. Much easier or if its very local I will drive it there.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, they run about 7 ton. Bit much for a Tacoma :laughing:

4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

You need at minimum an F800 33k class truck

5. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Your 2500 wil actually be able to pull that backhoe around. It has enough HP and torque to get the job done (even with the trailer). The real issue is stopping power. Whatever you do be sure that you are comfortable with how well it will stop.

6. OldCrow

OldCrow Member

Our 580 weighs in around 19000 lbs. But we're a bit on the heavier side of these machines.

You'll need a 10 ton trailer. I'd suggest a truck around the minimum size of a chevy 5500 like Columbia said. There's a reason why you don't see 2500's towing full size backhoes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have pulled jd 310's and 410's with my F350's (drw's and srw's) and tandem dual GN's. Though I would not want to do it every day, it can be done safely if you are carefull and make sure you have good breaks on truck and trailer. A 25+5 tandem dual would be a good size. You will also want a set of airbags.
    Not sure about the dot laws in your area. Make sure dot is not going to be a problem
    Robert

8. rob_cook2001

I don't see many 2500's but I see a ton of F-350's pulling them everyday in the oilfield around here.
    Those poor trucks pull those hoes around on 32+5 trailers every day.

9. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Just to clarify. My opinion is that the truck can do the job. I would not do it because of the lack of stopping power with pick ups and electric brake trailers. I too have an SRW F350 that I use to move my smaller equipment (12,000# mini and 8,500# skid-one at a time). I don't even like hauling these units around because of the increased stopping distances. If you are paying attention it's OK, but in panic breaking situations the pucker factor is high. In my opinion electric brakes are junk. I can haul both of the smaller units at the same time on my big trailer (50,00# payload trailer that goes behind my 10 wheel dump truck), and I prefer to do this whenever I can. This is the only way I will haul my TLB also (behind the dump truck). Interesting thing is that the stopping distance of the dump truck is reduced (shortened) when I have a loaded trailer behind it. Despite the excess weight. I think it's because the trailer adds (3) more breaking axles because the air brakes are actually doing their jobs. My small trailer adds (2) more breaking axles but the brakes are not enough to overcome the weight. I can adjust them some (with the controller) but this makes it so the trailer feels as though it's going to pull itself off of the back of the truck. It's as though I can't find the happy medium between smooth braking and powerful breaking.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Around here if he is towing that with anything lower than a 25K gvw truck then he will be spending alot of time pulled over for safty checks from the dot and probably the state police. my 580 weighs in at aroun 13K or so.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What's that trailer lingo mean? 25+5 or 32+5?

12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

25+5= 25' flatdeck plus 5' beavertail. :waving:

13. rob_cook2001

What he said :nod:

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That was what I figured. So what's the difference between a beaver tail and a dove tail?

15. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Just the spelling.

16. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

marketing.

And in response to the earlier post.
    Once you go air brakes, you aren't ever going back.

17. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

You could tow the lightest 580 on a gooseneck setup with your 2500HD, but you'd be maxing out the capacity of your truck, which isn't the best idea.

18. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

I pull my 580 around quite a bit in the summer with my 05 F350 DRW,the truck pulls like a dream,I use a 20+5 gooseneck,you do have to be careful and watch the lights and keep your distance,I am thinking of going up to the 550 standard though.

19. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I have a sub who pulls his cat 420 backhoe with his F350 DRW in the snow to come plow for me! I pulled a 555 ford with my 2500hd.

20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Quite a hoot that some here are saying you can pull a 580 Case around with a pickup but you better watch out for the DOT and to give yourself more stopping room.Not everybody enjoys a puckering anus,myself included.It takes weight to pull weight and to stop it----SAFELY.Like a few responsible members here said,nothing smaller than a 5500/550 sized horse with at least a 7-9 ton trailer,depending on which 580 model.

n

n