1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

case 40xt fuel drain plug and struts

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by charlesellis, Sep 26, 2014.

1. charlesellis

charlesellis Junior Member

New member here. I'm trying to do annual maintenance on my new (to me) 2004 Case 40xt skid steer--before the great blizzards of Alabama begin. Two questions:
    1. The plug for draining the fuel tank seems frozen I've tried PB Blaster. No luck. I assume a torch on the fuel plug is not a good idea. What is the best tool to use?
    2. Where is the best (cheapest) place to get the gas struts that ease the cab opening?
    I will appreciate your help.
    Charles

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can I ask why your draining the tank?

3. charlesellis

charlesellis Junior Member

As I bought the skid steer used about a year ago, I'm trying to do all the maintenance it might need. On p. 152 of my operator's manual, it says every 1000 hrs to drain water from the fuel tank. On p. 156 it says every 1000 hrs to drain the water and sediment from the tank.
    Do you think this is important to do? It's running fine now.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Up to you, but I have never drained a tank for p.m. before. Draining and changing your fuel filters sound good tho. That's normal maintenance. As long as your using good diesel and not filling it up in a rain storm you should be ok

5. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

If you really want to get it out , a little heat around the plug is fine .