1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Case 1840

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gsphunter, Jan 8, 2015.

1. gsphunter

gsphunter Junior Member

I use a Case 1840 to load salt out of our bin. I got to the shop last night and fired it up. It ran for about 15 minutes to warm it up and had one of my guys jump in and start loading trucks. He got about half a load on the second truck and it shut down.

It didn't spit, sputter, smoke, but shut down like someone turned the key off. It is not getting power at all. The fuel gauge lights don't light up, no buzzer when turning the key to on, no cranking at all. I also replaced two 20amp fuses in the engine compartment that may or may not have been bad. When it's 15 degrees with a 20 mph wind, I wasn't taking the time to see if they were bad.

I'm going to put a new battery in today as it is an older battery any way, but I'm doubting that is actually the culprit. Any ideas out there? I believe that machine is a 96 or so.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Check the starter. Have had alot of newer style machines do the same thing.

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

loose battery cable? Or ground?

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

with the temp going up and down it creates moisture inside the starter,

5. gsphunter

gsphunter Junior Member

Pretty sure it's the ignition switch. It's not getting any electrical power at all. No lights in the cab or buzzer when turning the key.

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

does it have a master shut off?

7. gsphunter

gsphunter Junior Member

Don't think it has s master shut off. The new ignition switch and battery didn't solve the problem. Wish I could turn up a wiring diagram on the thing.

8. dheavychevy38

Did you check the starter ???? The power usually goes there and then to the fuse panel to run everything. Slide the cab forward and check the starter. They usually have a fuseable link right by them also. Get a test light and start check power. Most master switchs shut off the ground on those machines.

9. dheavychevy38

Call your dealer most of them will give you a copy of that circuit for free.

10. gsphunter

gsphunter Junior Member

Figured it out yesterday. Had a corroded pin in oneoftge plugs that I couldn't see until I unplugged it. Wired that wire around the harness with the rest of the wires and she's good to go. Got to load 7-8 tons this morning with it.

Electrical demons are a nightmare.