1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

case 1835 for snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pats plowing, Dec 9, 2001.

1. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

i have quite a few walks and driveways near my house, almost 20 that i snowblow,but it takes hours. i also have no place for snow on some of them. a buddy of mine can get a 2 yr old 1838 skid steer, gas engine, about 1000 hrs with a backhoe and bucket for under $4000. the machine(s) were owned by an electrical company and regular maitnence was done. i am wondeing if you guys think i could make money off of this machine and how well skid steers work for res drives. another lco has a bobcat 453 that he uses but that thing is tiny and he doesnt tell me if he is makin money off his $14500 machine. does anyone use skid steers for res snow removal.
    ps i cant plow with a truck due to my age (15) but i can drive a skid around the block. i will be getting a plow truck next year and have a large parking lot job already which might require a skid for sidewalks and clearing snow from the front of the store. what do u guys think thanks in advance.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

We use our skid steer mainly for loading sanders during a storm. After though we often use them for stacking and moving snow as well as clearing smaller areas. We use a mulch bucket to do this. You can also get blades and pusher boxes for skid steers. Some of the bigger items may not work as well because of the relative low weight of a skid steer compared to the amount being moved by a pusher box. Skid steers have bigger tires which can float and slide on wet snowy pavement. They work well on stone and dirt though. You may be better off waiting to buy a pickup. If this is the business you are going into and have the money then it may not ba a bad pruchase.

By the way I have owned 3 skid steers all have been diesel. Not sure how the gas ones compare.
  3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I started ploeing with an 1845B when I was 12 and have had a skid loader plowing snow ever since.1835 case is a little light and small but it would work fine.You will need to be very creful about sliding sideways into things,skidsteers really like to travel laterally. Currently we are using a 90XT and it likes to float around if the operator is not careful.
  4. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

We use a Bobcat 753(about same size I believe), with a 8' snowplow. Works good, we use it in homeowners associations. You do have to be careful about sliding, as well as it doesn't like hill, with the short wheel base it slides sideways often. I would go with a 6 or 7 ft balde though, 8' causes us problems in heavy snows. Be carefull also with down presure & steel edge you can really damage driveways, go to rubber or urthane. We're trying urthane this year, had rubber last season to much resistance on pavement I think, contributed to traction problems. Also be careful I was told if you drive skidsteer on public road has to be insured & registered. I didn't see need for me, private roads, we do however drive 1/2 mile between associations on publis roads. I felt insuring & registering would be more than ticket & other fees in long run. Let me know if you need anything else.
  5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

remeber that a skid steer really does not have brakes. It stops by moving the wheels in the opposite direction or by letting off the levers. IF you get going to fast and try to stop you may just start spinning and sliding. This could especially happen on a asphalt or concrete surface.
  6. proplow

proplow Junior Member
    from yahoo

Chains on a Bobcat??

I am considering using a bobcat to push a hunting camp road that is 3/4 mile down hill. I would think chains would help. Do you think a bobcat has the clearence and pushing power for this task?