1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

carwash with lightbar...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Embalmer, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Normally I hand wash my truck, but seeing as time is becomming scarce for me lately, I was wondering if anyone has run their truck (pending it fit) through an automatic carwash with a lightbar on it.

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Yep
    I have mine bolted to a backrack with locknuts, a low profile LED Show me bar and have never had a problem the few times I do go through the car wash.

Good Luck Mike

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My truck sits way too high for automatic car washes. It is kinda nice sometimes to go through the auto......

4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  5. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I have been handwashing my truck since I put my lightbar on, didn't think I could go through the carwash. I have a Whelen Mini-Strobe bar bolted to my BackRack also.

6. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Yeah mines a full size low profile code 3 excaliber lightbar, and its mounted directly to the cab roof. Im 100% sure it will fit, just dont know if anyone has let those heavy shamies run over theirs or not if you have a full size bar, as im more nervous of the brushes weight buckling it in the middle.

7. Grn Mtn

The kind of car wash I'm refering too is the touchless kind, you drive in park and this big arm starts rotating around the truck spraying soap water than airblown dry.

8. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Hmm never heard of these types before. Found one similiar here in Salem, so Ill go give it a whirl. Thanks

9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I'd never take my truck through anything other than a touch less wash. The brushes beat the hell outta the finish. They leave some nice scratches and swirl marks. Hell I've even seen them rip molding and hub caps off cars. As far as the lightbar goes, I've never tried going through with one.

10. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Touch Free Carwash

:waving: Embalmer
    I don't think you'd have a problem? Check with the someone or look for a height restriction. I like the automatic wash to clean the undercarriage. Keep them brakes line from rusty away. :eek:

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:

11. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I was thinking of making a bracket for the backrack that lets the lightbar fold down to below cab height.

12. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

The brackets you speak of are available through tow truck equipment suppliers. We use to own a wrecker business too, and we had several trucks with them. They were a must for getting into parking structures.

13. Grn Mtn

Like a foldable ROPS on a ZTR, good Idea.

I can't even imagin trying to get a car out of a garage with a tow truck, I have a hard enough time just gettin the Ram into on of those places.

14. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I think a few companies are using ATVs now to yank them out to street level.

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

cool, I will look into this

16. DaySpring Services

Awdirect has them.

17. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Most tow companies have trucks small enough to maneuver in and out of parking garages. When I was towing cars, we had a truck that had a self loader wheel lift and was fairly low to the ground. Was super easy to take it on repo jobs because it could go anywhere.

18. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

Well guess I should post a pic of my toy, to show my concern. :D

Still got to beef up the front suspention a little, then go get a blizzard 760lt for it. But still does well for off road towing :)

truck1.JPG

19. DaySpring Services

Just throw some timbrens on and it'll be fine. That's all I had on my 04 1500.

20. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Keep On Pushing

waving: Embalmer,
    I have a 2001 Dodge 1500, Timbrens, HD shocks and 10ply tires wesport No worries!

Pale Rider :gunsfiring: