1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

car's in the drive way ...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nekos, Dec 7, 2005.

1. nekos

nekos Senior Member

what do you all do about cars in the driveway ?
    so far i have just plowed what i could and came back later to finish.
    i have a few that just wont move there cars until late in the day though.
    after a night of plowing i want to go to bed not sit around for some one to move there car !!!
    i was thinking about shoveling around the cars but then i remembered it was cold outside so that idea went right out the window :p
  2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Welcom to the world of doing driveways... The you basically have these choices:

1) Wait for them to move the car
    2) have them move the car for you while your there
    3) Shovel around it

Maybe you can call them and tell them to move the car when you are on your way there.

Maybe someone has better ideas...
  3. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

Usually, what I do is just go around the cars if it is a two lane driveway. If it is an one lane drive, i push the snow to the side on the grass. The thing that always gets me is the client knows its going to snow, but still leaves the cars blocking the driveway. When they do this i never get out of the truck to shovel, I just back blade the snow and push the rest to the side.
  4. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I plow what I can and leave the rest. I do not go back to clean it for them. They know it is going to snow and can park the car in the garage, providing they have one. If they come out and move it while I am there, fine, but otherwise, what I can not get, I leave.
  5. go plow

go plow Senior Member

if i know that the plumber is coming to fix the kitchen sink, i clear out whats in the cabinet under the sink, so tha same goes for my plowing, you know im coming, you dont move your car, not my falt.......to be nice i do go back to see if its moved, if not i go home to bed!!!!
  6. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

I agree! There's no reason to go back unless i'm getting paid. If they dont have a problem paying then i'll go back. They knew it was going to snow, they also knew i would be coming to plow.

7. Fastech

Fastech Junior Member

I plow what I can and come back later in the day or the following day when they are at work or have moved their car to the other side of the driveway. I only have about five customers with cars in there driveway so it's no big deal. I hate when they come out after I started plowing to move the car and make me wait while they screw around brushing it off and moving it. In the amount of time it takes some people to clean their car off I could have done two more driveways.
  8. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I do very few residentials now but when I did do more I would go to those accounts after they left for work. On big storms I would remove the windrow from the end of the driveway so they wouldn't get stuck.
  9. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

I have it in my contract's that any cars left in driveways will be plowed around. I do not wait for people to move their cars. When it snow's wasted time is money lost.