1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cars in drives

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pert Snow, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Pert Snow

Pert Snow Member

guys i was wondering if you guys have any problems plowing a drive with cars in them. Backdragging as close as you can to he rear of the cars bumper is awfully tough. Just wanted to hear if any 1 has any suggestions and if u have these probs.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nope pull up drop the blade and go. Just start at the top by the garage door and drag pass the car and make the second drag behind the car.
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I just get what I can safely. They should understand if you couldnt get part of the snow because of the car.
  4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i have one where the car is in the end of the 75 ft long drive no garage!
    the lady just leavevs it there and wont move it and i dont want the liability of moving it for her
    so we get as close as we can and leave it at that. then the end in fornt of the car is full of snow but so be it
  5. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Get as close as you feel comfortable. We have in our contract 3 foot clearance from vehicles or other obstacles.
  6. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

People have to understand that when "we" get in there to move some snow, they have to have all their rigs out of the way or they will just get a little better than a so-so job.
  7. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

If u leave a car in the drive i plow around it. It might not be pretty but i am not moving it and i am not waiting for u to move it.
  8. artic429

artic429 Senior Member

Thats a fact!!! Its either move it or start to remember where they left their shovel, hat and gloves!!! LOL
  9. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I tell people that I won't go withing 3 or 4 feet of a parked vehicle, then they usually realize that its better that way for both of us. Sometimes once they see me in the drive they run out and move it. I have on customer that pays me cash (big cash lol) at the time of service, so I dont mid waiting for him to jockey some cars around
  10. ParadiseLS

ParadiseLS Junior Member

In general I shovel main walkways/stairs, so if there is little snow, like under 2.5-3", then I quickly scoop snow around the side of the car and throw it off to the side. I'm out of the truck with the shovel anyways. And then, they get into the habit of me shoveling, so they don't run out and make me sit there for 5 minutes while they drag their feet moving the car. If it's a big snowfall, I'm probably going to get stuck going back anyways after more snow falls, so I can clear the space when they're at work, and if the car is still there and they complain, I can say, "I was there twice today, you had two opportunities to move it and didn't come out either time." If they argue that I usually shovel, then I can make them feel guilty for chiding me about all the FREE shoveling I do.
  11. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

When you find a customer with cars in the way get a phone number that you can reach them at during a storm and call 5 or 10 minutes before you get there so they can move the cars and not slow you down. Explain that time is money and if you are forced to come back they will incur an additional charge for your services. If the snow is too deep to move the cars at least they will be able to clean the cars off and warm them up before you get there.
    A customer who expects you to plow around cars in a driveway should soon become an ex-customer.
  12. ERCKWD

ERCKWD Member

I back drag as close as I can. I have a couple customers that are elderly and can't shovel so I charge accordingly to have my shovelers shovel around their cars. It works well, I get paid well for it and they are happy. One lady asked me if she could move her car and I told her sure, well that was a big mistake, she ended up getting stuck, so from now on I would rather have the guys shovel around cars then allow people to move them, takes less time

RODHALL Senior Member

i hate plowing around cars.....

I always leave a few feet behind a car parked in a driveway. I just back drag away from it the best i can and go on about cleaning up.
  14. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I always have a list in my truck of every customer with their phone numbers. I have one with the car issue due to having two teenage daughters who must look pretty good because they always have "boys" over the house. I call when I'm about 15 minutes out and the boyfriends move all the cars onto the street. I just pull up and plow.
  15. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Mostly I just plow what I can get safely, and come back (and charge) again if it really needs to be cleaned up.

I do carry phone numbers, but cell service is so spotty around here that I mostly don't bother to call. If someone notices that I am there, and offers to move cars, that's fine.

I have one account where they park on alternate sides of the lot each storm. If I come through at omigod o'clock , then i just plow the open side and leave it. In the daytime, if the they are at home, they come out and move.

There are some other people who make me wish that I could take their car keys when I arrive, and give them back when I leave. Much safer that way. I b*****d out one lady for scaring me to death by moving her car when I didn't expect it. Now she sits in the car and won't move until I tell her to. I wish all customers were that easy to teach.

What really jerks my chain is cars in the drive and an empty garage. I also have a couple people who, I swear, measure carefully and put their cars in the absolute most inconvenient spot.
  16. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

What I can't stand is doing a driveway around cars and then they run out, want to move them, clean them off in an area I just plowed while I'm supposed to wait for the car to warm up and usually only 2 of 3 cars do this so you still can't complete the job. That is why I only plow my own stuff now.
  17. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Every house I plow has cars in the lot, so at the start of the season any property that looks like its going to cause a problem I design a parking arrangement. Normally its quiet simple, park all cars front to back on one side away from my pile. I leave the notice with the tenant before the storms with a diagram because some people need that extra little bit to comprehend
  18. I have in my contract that if the driveway is being blocked I reserve the right not to service the account. Two nights ago I got to someone's driveway and see he pulled the cars out and parked one on the curb but the front of his car was blocking part of the driveway. He also had two cars parked in the middle of the street making it impossible for me to back drag out of his driveway. I simply left. I don't have time to wait around or knock on doors.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Yup, it can get pretty dicey alright. I have about one third of my accounts that have multiple cars when I arrive. Luckily, they're all on the same street so it seems they look out for me and get out and clear their cars as I'm starting that stretch...have to wait a minute sometimes but to me it's worth it to have all these accounts in a row. Within a half hour I am done with 4 accounts and leave with $150 in the bank so to speak...:drinkup:
    On one other I call ahead and they all come out to move any time of day or night.
  20. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I angle the blade and slice relatively close when I back drag, as to not leave a pile next to their rocker panel on their vehicle. lol. I do have two people, one an elderly couple, and another who has a wife in a wheelchair and such (you couldn't meet nicer people). I do shovel around their cars...it's just too easy to do, and is a pleasure for these particular people.:)