1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Carhartt Waterproof Breathable rain gear rewiew

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PowersTree, Jan 5, 2012.

1. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

So I contract sidewalk clearing / high end residentials with blowers.

I spend 15-20 hours outside in the elements running snow blowers. It sucks, you get wet, your frozen.
    This after 15+ years as a company driver, same company working my way to the top.

Last year I could not figure out how to stay warm. I had an artic Carhartt coat, but I sweat to much. All Under Armor layers, still wet. poly rain suit, once you sweat, your done because it won't breathe.

I looked all summer trying to figure out what to buy to stay warm and dry without bulk.

I looked into fishing gear like the crabbers use, but about **** my pants at the cost of quality gear, that I wasn't going to shred in a night. Then I found the carhartt line of breatheable gear. While I haven't had a good storm yet, our first storm was 1.5" of rain snow mix. It was raining as we were working, and I stay dry.

I bought the unlined, waterproof, breatheable, coat.

I suggest trying it on in store, as they run a bit large. I tried on a 2xl at the store, and thought the xl would be good. Had them order it. Now I'm wishing I had gotten the large, but still happy. I may give this one to my employee, and order myself the right size.

I've only had mine 2 months now, wear it almost daily, and haven't been even damp while wearing it, even working an hour in a heavy rain. Has anyone else had one longer, and could add to this thread? I will add my comments as the year gets started.

2. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Also, I have washed it twice now due to the salt dust, and it still looks brand new.

3. LI snowman

LI snowman Junior Member

I bought one of the brown waterproof breathable coats a few years agot. It works great. I wear it with only a t shirt and sweatshirt underneath. It keeps me warm and dry when running the blowers or when I used to run the tractor (no cab). After three years of moderate use, it shows no wear. Salt just washes right off.

I also have a pair of helly hansen waterproof breathable pants. The place I bought the coat from didnt have the carhartt pants in my size so I got these. They work pretty well. I wear them with just heavy duck pants underneath. They are a bit thin but havent ripped yet, after 3 years. When they go I will probably replace with carhartt. Between the jacket, pants, my muck artic boots, and atlas snow blower gloves I stay warm and dry, plus I dont sweat. I usually just wear a baseball cap then I use the hood and my worktunes to keep my ears warm.

4. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Muck boots are my next purchase. Then if this carharrt proves worthy I'm getting the matching bibs.

As of now my wear consists of:

Carhartt breatheable coat. unlined
    under armor hoodie (not for shot keeping warm but breathes!!)
    Thermal henley shirt for warmth (2 on cooold nights)
    Under Armor cold gear turtle neck base layer

Thermal Underwear
    Warm up athletic pants
    Carhartt duck lined bibs

So far, I think I'm set. Only a good spring rain, ice, snow storm will really tell me though.

5. snowman34

snowman34 Junior Member

good stuff

ive had the carhart .coat an pants..very good stuff,over 5 years used in rain an snow events.

6. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Ive got one of the carhart coats also if its the kind im thinking of. They are fantastic rain coats and keep you pretty warm. The part I like the most is having the fitted cuffs around your wrist so no water gets in and the sleeves stay on close to your hands.

7. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I love the cuffs. They let you glove tuck in under the sleeve, without disturbing the seal of the cuff.

8. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

I have used Frogg Toggs from Cabela's Similar to tyvek house wrap material ,seem to work good also.

9. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I've been a long time carhart fan and I have the black lined coat and bibs for extreme cold. I just learned about Mickey mouse boots and bought a pair, they are supposed to be the warmest boots on the planet. I have not worn them outside yet since we have had no snow but tried them on and I think they will be perfect for outside work.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Not to hi jack your thread but I have a ice fishing suit made by Clam Corporation called "blue suit". So far the only thing I've worn was the coat part of it Halloween night. It was raining steadily all night and in the 40's. The whole night I just watched the rain bead up and run off. All I wore under it was a T shirt and stayed just about right on the chilly side of warmth. There is a very thin lining and very light weight and very comfortable. The bib part of the suit is lined with a thin fleece and also very comfortable. The suit is completely water proof, wind proof and very breathable. Best of all the whole suit runs under 200 bucks. Just another suggestion. I found mine on line at redrockstore.com but I also saw them at Dicks and Gander Mtn. Also the Clam Corp. makes boots, gloves etc. its all specialty clothing for being out doors in extreme winter conditions. My next purchase is their boots...100% water proof and come with 1200 grams of insulation.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  11. Brian Young

I've had ZERO luck with FroggTogg. I tried them for mowing.....got soaked. I tried them for my bike, we rode to a bike rally about 1.5 hrs away and had to put on the suit half way there and by the time we got there I was soaked from head to toe. I will never by FroggToggs again.

12. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I have the same artic coat. I sweat, wearing it ice fishing.

13. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Brian......all is good. That's what these are for ;)

I had never seen the ice fishing gear until Christmas time. I tried on the Frabil gear, and it looks very nice, but I'm afraid I would cook myself in it.

14. Brian Young

I hear ya, I could be sweating when it's 20 degrees out if I'm working. I looked at all the different suits and the blue suit wasn't insulated which is good for me, I like to dress in layers. I wouldn't recommend an insulated suit either because they are very, very warm but they're made for sitting not moving a whole lot. Another suit I have (more for mowing) is made by LaCross but again with just a long sleeve shirt in the winter when working seems to be decent.

15. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

yes those carhart rain coats are real nice, I dont have the fitted cuff one but my dad does and his is a bit nicer than mine but I wear mine all summer while working in the rain and love it

16. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

Me and my guys all wear Treds boots. They are desidned for concrete workers. 100% neoprene. They don't breathe, but nothing gets through them and they are easy to get off. You wear them over top of your existing boot. I wear them over top of my summer time red wings non insulated boots and it gets almost to warm. I've tried every other top of the line boot out there but the chemicals just wreak havec on them after a while and they start to leak.

17. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I ponied up and bought a pair of Muck Boot, Commercial series, and couldn't be happier. They a like wearing a pair of tennis shoes.

Now to get a good storm, to test all the new gear out.

18. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

Fitted cuff carhart rain coats....the way to go. Fitted makes all the difference, especially when the wind is blowing.

19. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I am looking at there website and I dont see one that says commercial series. Which product category are they under. Are they the professional extreme condition work boot? Thanks

20. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

Make sure you wash it in powdered detergent or specific waterproof breathable detergent. Liquid laundry soap has a chemical that makes material more water absorbent which will quickly remove the durable water repellent finish on the outside of your jacket.

Here is a product from Nikwax: Tech Wash

Most outdoor stores will stock something similar. Its expensive but well worth preserving your gear.