1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

cargo light strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by chevyzrule810, Feb 20, 2011.

1. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone used the strobes in the cargo light? If so what bulb do you use that will fit in there.

2. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

The search button would be your friend with this one. I know I have seen this same thread several times. Here is the link to one of them:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=103043

My suggestion would be to use Whelen Vertex, thats what I have in my truck. This way you don't have to worry about heat from a strobe tube. I actually just installed the split (Amber / Clear) Vertex's in my buddies cargo lights. It's pretty bad-azz! Thumbs Up

Happy Plowing :bluebounc:bluebounc:bluebounc

3. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

4. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

nothing showed up

5. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

I had to edit it, try again ...... Let me know if you can't see it

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  6. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

I never use my cargo light could these be wired directly into the cargo harness and use the cargo light switch/, or is there a flas pattern switch you need to use?

Thanks

Brian

7. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

I'm no wiring/electrical expert. It seems to me that if you wired them into the existing cargo lamo switch, then every time you opened a door they would activate.

There is no flash pattern switch. There is an inline flasher and a pattern wire. All you do is simply TAP the pattern wire on a 12V source and it will change patterns. Once you get to the one you want, simply tape up the pattern wire and it will keep that pattern.

My recommendation would be to avoid use the cargo lamp switch. I put these in and kept the lamps in place, there is plenty of room. Just run a wire to a dedicated fuse/switch. You will be much happier and avoid any potential headaches.

8. blogsdon

blogsdon Member

Not to be stupid but you would run the wire through the headliner in the truck or through a hole in the cab to thr switch?

Sorry for the ignorance.

Brian

9. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Again, I am not an install expert, so I can only tell you what I did. In my truck I popped a couple plastic fasteners that holds the headliner up in the back and that allowed me to gain access to the cargo light area. I then ran the wires from there, down the c-pillar(just popped the plasic trim pieces off), through a void or "channel" that runs under the the plastic right inside the door (that enry step area) and up behind the dash board. It literally only took 30 - 45 minutes.

With the Vertex's, you can sync them together (so they flash either together or alternating), I grounded them to the frame and had the "hot" wire running to the switch. Despite these LEDs having such a low draw, I would recommend a fuse between the battery and the switch.

Just my $.02