1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cargo Lamp comes on only when dome lights on?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowin boy, Dec 29, 2014.

1. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

Is the only way the cargo lamp will come on is when the dome lights are turned on too?
    2009 Chevy 2500
    Can't even see out of the truck when the dome lights are on
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Scott

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yep...That's gm for ya

3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Our 05' ford is the same way.

Looking to run an alternate switch for it.

4. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

On our 2005 chevy, there is a button on the left of the steering wheel that you press that makes the cargo light come on and doesn't make the inside lights come on. Could've been switched though because of new body style... Not sure though that's just what it does on our truck

5. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Got changed with the body switch in 2007.5. Really annoying.

6. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

... Oh ok thanks for the info

7. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

thanks for the responses guys

8. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

That sucks, glad they put the seperate switch back in the 2015. It shouldn't be too hard to have it rewired though.

9. IndySnowJob

IndySnowJob Junior Member
    from Indiana

Yes, seperate switch on the 15....BUT when you put the truck in gear, it overrides and turns the cargo lights (the one in the 3rd break light and the 2 LED under rail) off.

I'll assume this is so that the white light would not be on when driving on a road. I run with a pallet of sidewalk salt for spreading and a ballast. I want to be able to check the load after clipping a curb in a lot.

10. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Makes since to me from both points of view since it is illegal here to have any white lights facing the rear of the vehicle when driving but it would be nice to be able to see what's in the bed at all times.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

but it would be nice to be able to see what's in the bed at all times.

Well I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward most of the time, ya know safety and all

12. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Safety is Always First. I was talking about after hitting bumps, etc. it would be nice to be able to take a quick glance and see if anything moved back there.