1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

...Cargo carrier/ Receiver question...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by southsideone, Oct 21, 2006.

1. southsideone

southsideone Member

im looking for a cargo carrier (the trays that use the rear receiver hitch) for my 02 explorer which brings me to 2 questions:

first, not quite sure which size receiver i have, i measured the actual receiver hole, it was 1 1/4" wide, but when measuring the receiver as a whole, it was 2". so which one do i have? (i assume 1 1/4" but cant hurt to ask)

second, im looking to use a cargo carrier for my snowblower. im not concerned w/ weight, im concerned w/ width. the blower measures approx 29" wide. most cargo carriers ive seen are only around 20" wide or so. and there are some i found that would suit my dimensions, but they're wayyy to much ($550-$900, only looking to spend around $150'ish) does anyone know of a good dealer/vendor? or perhaps have a suggestion...

thx.

2. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

1-1/4" is a "class 1 " hitch. It is not meant for over two hundred pounds. Lowes has some cheap but nice cargo carriers. Approx. $75.00

3. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Since that is a class 1 hitch, you may have to think about upgrading the hitch if you wish to use a reciever package to carry your snowblower. However, I think you'd be much better off sticking with the hitch that you have and buying a small trailer for $400 at HD to carry around your blower, shovels, salt, etc. I think you need to look ay investing more money in this adventure than you have thought about previously. I know you have about 1200 to spend on the blower, judging form the cost you were looking to spend on the backdrag. If everyone could get into this for $1200 with all brand new equipment, there'd be a lot more people out there plowing and snowblowing. You may want to just consider a used snowblower and a used trailer to get you started, or borrow a trailer from family. Most people don't use their trailers in the winter (unless they are snowmobile trailers). Point is, if you spend more time searching for used and less time thinking of brand new, you'll end up ahead of the game. That, and a little mechanical knowledge goes a long way.