1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cargo/3rd brake strobe REVISITED!!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by grec-o-face, May 24, 2010.

1. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

some of you may remember my post from a long way back about my 3rd brake light mod. Well, I've updated my mod with an LED flasher and the results are great!!!

Here's a day time vid.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid63.photobucket.com/albums/h126/grecoface/Car%20Pics/RRstrobeDAY.flv">

2. grec-o-face

I'll get a night video soon. That day-light crap just doesn't give it any justice.

3. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

it still looks good

4. grec-o-face

Thanks Cuban!!

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Can you also show what it looks like when you are on the brakes too?

6. grec-o-face

I wired everything through relays -

with the strobe switch OFF, the normal functions (brake / cargo) work without interuption.
    with the strobe switch ON, the power is routed through the LED flasher and NOT through the stock paths, it dissables the factory functions (there's no chance of blowing anything up this way).

7. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

where did u get it????

8. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

looks very good. I'm curious how did you do this? wiring,lights and flasher part #'s

9. grec-o-face

It's a Recon LED 3rd brake light. (like $90-ish)

I cut the stock wiring and re-routed the power for the cargo and for the brake lights. I ran them through relays (standard bosch 5 pin - I already had a few). When the relays are NOT energized, the power just flows through them and works the normal cargo & brake light functions. When the relays ARE energized, the power is instead sent through a NOVA Electronics LED flasher (like $30-ish), then the flasher provides output via power/flash patterns to the Recon light assembly.

I plan on doing a similar set-up to my LED roof lights. I've seen aftermarket LED roof lights that have a strobe function, but they're too pricey for me. Plus, I'd rather do it myself.

10. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

on my old truck i cut the harness on the under the tailgate LED brakelight with the reverse LEDs that was sick although it took a few trial experiments to figure out how to get the left blinker right blinker full brake and reverse lights to rotate and sync up the way i wanted but a few hours later me and my wiring guru friend got it done... looks sick even in the day light

11. grec-o-face

That's what I'm talkin' bout. I dig all that custom wiring stuff. It's just cool.

12. oh8chevy2500

custom wiring sucks at first ... the way i do it atleast...i have a bunch of leads that have the wire punchin alligator clips on them and i figure out everything then go to the bench and do the complete wiring then back to the truck to solder heatshrink and loom it up and away nice and clean but everything is worth it when its all said and done and knowing you only spent the money on pieces and not a plug n play is a nice peace of mind and chunk of money saved ...

13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the info

14. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

Way Cool! just subscribing so I don't miss the Night Video!

15. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

ditto! plus i wanna do this to my truck now

16. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

where did you get the led flasher idea?

17. oh8chevy2500

Where did I? Because I remember shooting you a pm asking if it was possible and what I would need

18. Dissociative

ahhh yeah....

19. oh8chevy2500

I will give credit when its due just haven't seen you on in months

20. Dissociative

yeah...i just been poking around...running my new construction company...not a lot of time..

i keep seeing your light wishing i had no camper shell....look badazz