1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cargill cuts off bagged supplies

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JeffNY, Jan 22, 2009.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Called my place yesterday, and they said they received a letter from them stating no more bagged salt. Knew that was coming, now I have to pay more, and charge more. Oh well.

They're as bad as the oil companies.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That was the case with Cargill a month ago alredy

They supposedly dont have the product to bag here

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

that's what it's all about unfortunately

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Cargill isnt making anything if they are not bagging anything:confused:

5. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

sure they are...they stop sales, then pick back up, what do you think happens to deman? it increases, and they know they can charge double the worth because guys like me and you and JeffNY have no choice but to pay the increase...no different than bulk salt sales out of mines

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We buy most of our salt from Cargill and they aren't the ones gouging, the price really hasn't gone up much over the last 10 years. We have been cut off and it doesn't matter what you pay they will not sell you any salt unless your a government agency now. IMO it's the salt middle men that are screwing the average guy, not the big companies.

7. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Our local supplier started getting bags from American about a month ago. Cargill hasn't been bagging for a while.

8. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

they told us no more for the rest of the season so dont even bother calling!

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

US Salt in Mlps still had bags as of last week but not that many and the pile was getting smaller.

10. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i was at my supplier yesterday, uses Cargill, they just got their last shipment for the year, up to 6.25/bag.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I bet Cargill is still charging the same price, it's your supplier that's putting the price up.

12. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

could be, I need to find a different distributor I think.