1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Cargil won't sell me bulk salt!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by steve b, Nov 24, 2005.

1. steve b

steve b Member

I recently signed on 3 big accts that need about 7 ton per event. Called up Cargil and they said it's too late to quote me a price. I'm in Waterloo Iowa and the Cargil site is in Dubuque. Is there any other bulk distribution that services Iowa?

2. slade

slade Senior Member

I would sure think that there are other companys that you can buy from that get their salt from the same salt mine. That is the way it is here. It is a cargill salt mine and I buy from North American Salt. I jremember my first year salting I called Cargill and they said the same thing it was too late in the year to get any salt, I called around and bought it from another company. The salt still came from the same mine though.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  3. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

try morton or north amereican, morton is deborah jones, her number is 708-891-5847. she is out of chicago, if she cant help you in iowa, she will know who can, see ya rob

4. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Cargill sucks, I called several years ago to purchase salt & they would not sell to us either. I ended up buying from a local trucking co they bought through Cargill. We still buy some through that company because they deliver with little notice.

I started purchasing from American Rock salt & do most of our business through them now. Cargill called and wanted to sell us salt a couple years ago when they were slow (found out we use 2,000 tons per year) said no thanks.

Keep looking there are other salt suppliers out there.

5. steve b

steve b Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm not networked that well in my area and I was a little panicked.