1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Carbon Canister Noise??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by MadLion90, Mar 8, 2011.

1. MadLion90

MadLion90 Member

Hey all... I have a 2002 F350 5.4L and i've noticed a noise coming from the engine compartment just after starting the truck. It happens about 5-10 secs after turning the ignition to the on position; whether or not the engine is started. Pin pointed it to the black carbon canister next to the air filter in the engine bay.

The noise is like a purging with a bang. Not extremely loud but noticable from inside the truck if you listen for it. I've had the truck since August and only started noticing it around Dec. Now that i know its there it has become annoying in the fact that i don't know if it is normal or if something is wrong. Does anyone know whether or not this is normal? And what could be the reason if it is not? Thanks for any input.... Mike