1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Carbide Insert Formed Cutting Edges

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by stroker79, Jan 13, 2009.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I went and got my fisrt set of replacement cutting edges, they lasted a tad over 2 years of use but I plow fast and we have had some pretty busy winters.

I was talking to the dealer and he said that he can have custom edges made that will look just like the boss edges but have a layer of carbide in them which whould increase the life of the edge dramatically. I could probably get about 8-10 years of use on it.

The only thing is, it wont be cheap @ $500 per blade (2 needed for a V). HOWEVER I just spent $437 on the Boss formed edges that will only last another 2 years.

Would you go with the carbide the next go around or no?

2. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

Will he put it in writing about the 8-10 years of use and what if it doesnt last that long will he give you a new set for free?

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd just buy the formed edges from Boss. We tried some carbide edges on some larger blades and we really didn't like them, they seemed to grab the pavement really bad. B and B told me it was because they weren't made properly, all I know is I didn't like them.

4. stroker79

I wont need to be in writing, carbide is a harder metal, it will simply last longer, I will however make sure the carbide is in there and will be able to see that on the bottom since its a different color metal.

Isnt that what you want though? to grab the pavement better? Or was it making the blade constantly trip?

I am going to run the formed ones I have now and see where im at in 2 years when these need replacing. I am at least entertainging the thought for now,

I appreciate your input.

5. micklick plows

micklick plows Junior Member

I ran carbided in my western and got 5 yrs out of them before I sold the truck theey were still good and had them on my vee 2yrs with them doubled over the boss edges they are worth the money if you run alot of road. I plow ramps and parking lots.

6. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Maybe hardface the botton of the new edge? jmo, I never tried it

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The hard face will wear off in one good wet storm. I thought the formed edges from Boss were really good. I have no complaints on mine. They last much longer than the old style. Myself I would need some proof before I would pony up the $1000 plus for untried edges.

8. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

yes i agree my Boss edges are working really well and holding up

9. stroker79

Well carbide is a harder metal so there doesnt need to be proof it will last longer. It just will, its harder.

Mine lasted only 2 years, not sure if that is normal or not but I plow alot of large lots and getting up too 30-40 mph isnt uncommon, they like to wear fast at those speeds.

10. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

Is there anyway you can send me a close up photo of the V section. I want to have a friend of mine fabricate a couple bent peices and then weld them to my old cutting edges so I do not have to purchase new ones until I where mine out. He says all he needs is a good clear photo of the V section.

11. stroker79

No problem.

Only thing is, could he make another set and let me know how much for them?

12. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

Good idea I never thought of him making me a complete new cutting edge I was just going to see if he could add on to what I have. I am meeting with him on Monday afternoon and I will know better then.

13. stroker79

Sweet! Ill take some pics today

14. lesedwards

lesedwards Member

Thanks that will be great the Boss website has a real good coloured pitcure of the curb gurard but the V is dark and is a picture of the whole blade all I need is a good clear photo of the V so he knows how to bend the steel to make it work so they do not hit each other.