1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Carbide edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by unimogr, Apr 5, 2012.

1. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Ok, I need feedback from operators / DWP garages / etc. on mounting of carbide and mild steel cutting edges. Most of the garages I've talked to run an outer mild steel edge over a carbide edge. However there's a few that run the carbide as the leading edge with a mild steel as a backer support.

I'm open to any feedback, opinions, and/or documentation that supports why one is a better option.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Our town run full carbide cutting edges,cost more but the get a lot of plowing from the,
  3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Full carbide is the way to go, they cost more but they last a lot longer.
  4. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

full carbide, on my plows i have 2 4 foot sections and 1 3 foot section, and always double up the middle 3 foot section for the crown on the road where I plow
  5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

The reason some run mild steel edges in front of the carbide is that the carbide is brittle, wears ready well but doesn't like a hard hit like a sewer cover edge, so the mild steel edge takes some of the impact. This was more of an issue when carbide edges frist appeared on the scene. Today's edges aren't as prone to this but you can still chip them.

I don't run my carbides without any backing, and it hasn't been an issue.

If you plow a lot of dirt, then a mild steel edge in front of the carbide might help, rocks frozen in dirt can also chip the carbides.

6. jtindle70

jtindle70 Junior Member

I see you run an 11' unit. I have (3) .75" x 6 x 48" carbide insert edges from kenemetal. If you were interested I was needing $70 per foot + UPS cost hardware included 6 holes per edge 1.5" gauge line with standard hwy punch
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I build mine from mild steel On my MPV I have 40 hrs on it thats low end of hrs 20hrs last yr and so far 20 hrs this yr and still have 6'' of wear left
    I use 5/8x8'' and on Ends I double it up Cost is half what OEM edge is
    I make all my wear edges for my 8.6pro plus blades and my Boss Vplow
    Even make some for few buddies
  8. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I have one on my 9 foot Fisher., Its three pieces Three three footers . The came from Kena metals. I run a oem blade on top of them. That's the way it was set up when I got the plow. Wish I could afford a set for my 8 foot plow. If it would only snow.
  9. jtindle70

jtindle70 Junior Member

I can be emailed at jtindle70@yahoo.com for kennametal carbide 3' and 4' section