1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Carbide Edges on a DXT

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Mark13, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking for some Carbide edges or bolt on pieces for my 9.2 DXT to help with the cutting edge wear while plowing streets and roads. I've looked around online without much luck, checked winter equipment's site and didn't see a lot either for anything other then straight blades. I'm just trying to avoid potentially burning through a set of $500ish edges every few storms if I can help it.
  2. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

If you don't find anything to work putting on some plow shoes and adjusting them help with some of the plow weight might help. Just a thought.
  3. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  4. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I'd be curious to hear how that would work. I had to buy new edges after plowing half a season after buying it last fall. 500 every year is not something I enjoy much.
  5. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

You're going through a cutting edge in a half a year???
  6. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

Last year went through a set on the one 8.2 in half a year, and made whole season on a set for the 9.2 but we seemed to plow alot last year too

will be putting new edges on both plows today.

and i agree seems like the burn up quick, ive tried the shoes and it does help a little especially when just starting the season when black top is still kind of rough yet. i do plow alot of concrete and i think that is the biggest issue, maybe im wrong. i dunno...it does suck knowing you have to put another grand out at begging of year for cutting edges, on top of all your other material.

Oh well i guess, like i tell the wife gotta spend money to make money.
  7. snowplower1

Well half a year was breaking the original edge in. My actual edge I am expecting to last through this year. We also plowed more last year than we did the two past years combined almost. Regardless I'm used to getting 3 years or so out of our edges until I got into v plows and it just sucks but v plows are worth it.
  8. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I like having a V plow, but I am a subcontractor and having to shell out 450 twice a year was dipping too far into my pocket. I'm a sub and can't exactly raise price to compensate.
  9. snowplower1

I get that. I could only see that being beneficial if you were paid per job then you could do more
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You could double up your edges between the formed parts. I've seen a few highway plows done like that.
  11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Avg 200hrs per year, replace mine.....I've never bought a set for my Vee's partially because I sell them off every year. Even then, the last 3 had ¼ to ¾ only worn off.

I guess I should drop my plow more often.
  12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Don't think guys in skids think you should.........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WReToZguy0g
  13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

When I plowed private roads I'd weld a piece of 4"X1/2" flat bar on the edge, I'd lay a bead aboot 3" long every 6-8" along the top and plug weld it aboot the same distance. The holes for the plug welds were 3/4"" diameter and ran down the centerline of the 4" flat bar. I used mild steel but it added 50% <> to the life of the edge and keep the weight / cost down instead of running a double edge.
  14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm going to give Winter Equipment a call on Monday as well. If their carbide pieces are to costly or they aren't sure about using them I'll probably try doing BUFF's method with doubling steel up on the edge.
  15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

how you guys eating an edge in a year or less!? I just replaced one 9'2" vxt edge way low and that plow was bought dec 2010!

Ive only EVER replaced one 8' edge on one trucks plow and a 9' edge on another, not because it was too low but because i added wings and the edge didn't touch, i still have the used edge as a backup. We have 18 boss plows.
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Simple, we plow snow.

I seldom get more than a season to a season and a half out of any truck mounted plow edges.
  17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Speed had a lot to do with wear also. Big lots wear edges faster.
  18. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

Ive seen that more so this year than any, going through cutting edges due to increased speed.
  19. Nick B

Nick B Junior Member
    from Madison

I run MHL System edges. A little spendy but I have had one for 2 years and can hardly tell we have used it and we temove snow on roads, commercial accounts, and residential accounts with it. Bought another one this year for another one of our trucks.