1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Carbide cuttinf edges

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nsmilligan, Jan 15, 2001.

1. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Just installed a set of carbide cutting edges on an EZ-V
    Had to custom fit them at a buddies welding shop they come in 4' lengths. Only plowed one storm with them, and no sign of wear. I know the trend has been to polyurethane, but got a deal on these and thought I would give them a try.
    Anybody else ever try them? Government highway plows use them up here and get about 4000 miles out of a set.

Bill

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Alot of airports use them on access roads. They do last. Be carefull, how wide are your edges? If they are more than 6" they will tear the fisher apart. The plow was designed for 6" and if you put a 8" or so edge on it, it changes the amount of leverage on all the pivot and gusset points. I have seen this first hand, and it isnt pretty. The edge wil last a very long time, but wont give you the other benifits of the u edge. However the u edge isnt for everyone, and the carbide is a good alternative for wear.
    Just a ? tho, if the sections are only 4' how does that work on a section of moldboard 4'3"
    Dino

3. nsmilligan

Dino

They're 6" wide, and I've already added spacers on the springs, found the edges tripped too easy, this was before the carbides. As to how I fitted them, I cut two pieses 30" long out of each of the 4' pieces and two 20" out of the other, cut those to fit the angle of the EZ-V mold -board, and matched up the holes for the center wipers.
    That why I used my buddy's shop, he had the equipement to cut them nice and pretty like, there's 16 1/2" cutting edge bolts holding them on instead of the original 10.

Bill

4. nsmilligan

Here's a picture of my carbide edges second season NO wear yet!
    That's some where around 2000 miles of plowing! Divide that by half for backing up!

Bill

PS I got the edges from the local public works AFTER they were worn out by their standards, and I use to go through a set of 1/2 thick inch high wear edges each season, the Fisher OEM's lasted 1/2 season.

edges.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2001